28

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT
brizo misses pope

"Oh, perfect. Rockfish. Yup. The place you go to bash beer bottles on people's heads! Love that for us!" John B says sarcastically as JJ parks the Twinkie in front of the bar.

"There's a guy here," JJ says, trying to make a point, "that's always here, moves a lot of weight. My dad worked for him."

"So your plan is to make a deal with a smuggler?" I scowl, waiting for any of them to slide the back door of the Twinkie open.

JJ climbs off our car while John B stays in his seat, pinching the bridge of his nose with his fingers. "No, no, wait, wait. Please, don't say Barracuda Mike."

"Okay, I won't." JJ shrugs, walking to the bar.

John B walks out of the TWinkie with a heavy sigh, and slides the door open for me, giving me a hand, helping me off the car. He slides the door close behind me with a grunt.

We follow JJ inside the bar, and as we're about to step into the threshold of the place, John B grabs me by my elbow and pulls me closer towards him.

He leans down and whispers in my ear, "You stay close to me and JJ, got it?"

"Why?" I frown.

"Let's just say these guys aren't known exactly for being OBX's finest gentlemen, okay?"

A shiver goes down my spine as we walk inside. John B is right. These men aren't gentlemen at all. I can count three women in total inside this place, and the three of them are too busy to even notice me.

The men... well, they are something else. Each and every single one of them turns their head to me as soon as I step foot inside the bar. John B pushes me in front of him protectively so I don't get left behind.

JJ is walking in front of me, but that doesn't stop all these older men to eye me up and down and send smirks my way.

"I'm gonna be sick." I whisper to myself, trying not to gag.

John B pushes me to his left protectively when a dude that must be in his seventies tries to invite me for a beer. JJ gets defensive too, his back tenses and exchanges a challenging look with the man until he goes back to his stool.

"You sure there's no other option?" I mutter under my breath.

"There's not. It's all right, Bee." JJ looks at me apologetically.

"We got you." John B says, pushing me to walk while he keeps looking around us in case somebody else tries to approach me again.

"Come on, seriously, we don't have much time. You dad needs help right now, and this guy is gonna be the key to getting down to South America ASAP. Trust me on this one."