10

CHAPTER TEN
the spider hole

"This is it right here. Come on." Our father leads, opening the back garden of a small house.

We enter through the back door that our dad unlocks with his key. He turns on the lights and leads us inside.

"Here it is. The spider hole."

John B steps aside, letting me walk in first. The floor creaks as I come inside, looking all around me gathering every detail possible.

The Chateau is cleaner than this shit hole. Rust on the doors, dented paint everywhere and you can't take a step without tripping over something. John B and I share a look, eyeing the moldy slice of bread sitting on the counter.

"It ain't much, but it ain't a bad place to lay low."

"Dad, I've seen rats live better than this." I scrunch up my nose, kicking a can of beer out of my way.

"It's the spider hole, kid. Can't ask for much."

"Okay, spider hole. Good name." John B nods, although his voice sounds sarcastic.

"You don't actually have spiders in here, do you, Pops?" I grip JB's short sleeve, ready to jump on his back at the first sight of a spider.

My brother tugs on my arm, calling for my attention. I turn around, and he signals with his chin at the table. There's a map laid out with a magnifying glass on top of it. John B picks it up, and runs his fingers through the inked paper.

"Still hunting, huh, Pop?"

"I'm breathing, I'm hunting, man, what can I say?"

Next to the map there's a wide book, covered in dust with yellow-ish pages. I pick it up, and snort, showing it to my brother so he can read the title. El Dorado: The Great Legend.

"So what is it this time, dad?" I ask with a heavy sigh, hearing him rumble through his stuff. "You looking for Atlantis?"

"Ah, laugh all you want, but this time I'm putting it all together. Getting close, I can feel it. Onto something big, BJ."

"Don't call me BJ." I wince at the mention of the nickname.

"Why not?" My father frowns. "I used to call you that all the time, Bee."

"Yeah, well. I'm not a kid any-"

"A Kook told her it sounds like blowjob and now she doesn't like it- Ouch!" My brother rubs his arm in the place I just hit him.

"I told you to not talk about that ever again!"

"I'll tell you something, I didn't miss your bickering." Our dad laughs and John B and me share a look.