34

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

we're cousins

Funnily enough, we strike a deal with Barracuda Mike and he lets us go. We change our flat tire, and we drive as fast as we can to Kitty Hawk. My hands keep shaking on my lap, while i try to clench and unclench my fists.

"What the fuck were you thinking about?" JJ finally breaks the silence.

"I heard the word shoot and I panicked. You think I was gonna stay here and let them take you?"

"I was handling the situation perfectly fine."

"Yeah, sure." I scoff. "I saved your ass, Maybank. You can thank me whenever you feel like it."

I can see that JJ is actually grateful that I helped. He's trying to hold a laugh, and the corners of his mouth are twitching. My face breaks into a grin I can't contain anymore, and I let out a small giggle.

"All right. I'll admit the shit with the spyglass was a smart move."

"Well, thank you, honey." I bow down my head with a smirk.

"How did you come up with that? We don't need that to get to South America."

"Yeah, but he didn't know that. I needed proof that we found the Merchant. I just happened to remember that we kept that shit here."

"See? Not cleaning up the van is not that bad. Told ya." JJ points out, gesturing to the back of the Twinkie, that it's full of shit.

"Shut up. We had luck. We actually shouldn't keep something of historical value in the same place we keep expired cheese-flavored chips."

"Let's be honest, we forgot that even existed." JJ snorts, glancing at the glove box.

"Yeah, that's fair- Oh, shit."

The entrance to Kitty Hawk Camp is guarded by several men, all armed. The first of them raises his hand, ordering us to stop the van. JJ glances at me, says he'll do the talking. I just nod my head. I'm too exhausted to come up with anything right now.

"How are y'all doing?" JJ says cheerfully.

"Can I help you?" The man says, coming up to us.

"Hey there, uh, sir. I... Camp counselor Laura, I'm her... I'm her brother. This is my wife," JJ says, gesturing to me. I plaster a friendly smile on my face and wave my hand, "We were gonna drop off one of these packages back here for her, if that's okay."

The man eyes me carefully, and then his peers inside the van. He doesn't look too sure we're telling the truth.

"It's real quick. I promise, just in and out." JJ insists, gesturing with his hand. "That all right?"