26

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX:
i ain't no man

"Look, Neville, they're taking our father there. You're the only person who knows where it is."

Trying to convince Neville Persaud to give us the information we need has resulted in a harder task than we thought it'd be.

I stand next to my brother, as close as I can to the open door trying to get some fresh air. It smells like a teenage boy locker room here.

"Neville, they're going to kill him." I say, trying to help our case. "Please, just help us."

"They're going after the gold," He finally says, after much hesitation.

"Yeah, what else are they going to be after?" JJ asks, eyeing me and JB.

"Then they'll die anyway. Unless," Neville keeps talking, "they can pass the test, which they won't if they can't translate the idol. You know the story."

"No," JJ denies, asking Persaud to elaborate.

"El Dorado was found by a Guajiro king, and when it came time for him to slip his mortal coil and meet my greats on the astral plane..."

"That's a lot of words just to say he croaked." I mutter under my breath, earning a disapproval look from John B.

"... he wasn't just going to give the gold to his sons. It was the source of his power. I has to go to the wisest man, and to ensure this actually happened, he set up the test of the gnomon."

"So there's, like, some test now. Okay."

"There's always a test."

"Not anything new, boys." I sigh.

"Whoever passes the test gains access to the gold. You fail the test, you die."

"That's nice." I purse my lips, cocking my eyebrow.

"If you somehow get to the gold without taking the test, then you die."

"Great. He's lying, right?" JJ looks between my brother and I, "'Cause there's no way that actually can happen, right?"

"Tell that to the crew of the San Jose and the Royal Merchant."

"We don't want the gold, Neville." John B says, making both JJ and I whip our heads to him with a frown. "We just want to save our dad."

"They're after the gold. No man has found El Dorado and lived to tell the tale," Neville says with a sour and sad tone.

"Well, then we're lucky I ain't no man." I confidently say plastering a smirk on my lips.