32

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO
no time to mourn

"Could've been a faulty electrical wire." Pope tries to explain.

There's nothing left of the place I've been calling home for the last seventeen years.

I haven't slept at all. I've spent the night sitting between Pope and JJ, watching my house get destroyed. With everything we've ever owned inside. We truly have nothing left. John B and I have lost all our clothes, our books, our photographs, our memories.

The only photograph we kept from our mother doesn't exist anymore. Our father's office has been burned out completely, there's no sign of the research that took his entire life to get together. Our baby pictures, the gifs the Pogues gave us for our birthdays, each and every single memory of our life doesn't exist anymore. It's all gone.

I wipe a tear away from my cheek. I'm not entirely sure if my throat burns from the smoke or from crying all night long.

"Place was all wood." Kiara says. "Tinderbox."

The seven of us are tired, apathetic and covered in dark disgusting stains from the smoke. John B and I turn our heads at the same time. I've known this man my entire life and I've never seen such a shallow look in my brother's eyes.

"Thing just went up. Boom."

"Veredit's in, bro." JJ speaks, glancing at JB, then at me beside him. "Whoever's up there does not like you."

"JJ, don't." I say with a hoarse voice and a scowl, slapping his arm with the back of my hand.

"Sorry," Pope says to both JB and me, sitting in between us.

"Can we just go?" My raspy voice feels like knives as the sound leaves my throat. "I don't wanna be here anymore."

"Yeah, me neither." John B exhales, letting his head fall down to his arms for a second. "Come on, let's get out of here."

────────── ⋆⋅⚓︎⋅⋆ ──────────

We used the HMS Pogue to get the hell out of there. We drove with no actual destination in mind, we just wanted to get out of there. John B ended up taking us as near as he could to Heywards.

There's no time to mourn the life we've lost, both John B and I know that. That's why we're planning our next moment on the dock, with a cloud of sadness above the seven of us.

"Sarah, when did you say the pilot was getting in?"

"Probably like an hour?" She answers, "I mean, once he's here, my dad says we can leave whenever we want."

"Good. The sooner we leave, the better." I say, rubbing my thumb with my hand, trying to get rid of the fucking black marks that remain on my skin.

"Okay, well, as much as I would love to ghost my parents again, I can't." Pope explains.