27

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN:
men and their fragile egos

JJ and I don't get there fast enough. John B is pushing Topper back, while spitting at his face how much he hates him. It's when I notice Sarah grabbing his arm that I stop JJ in his tracks, pulling him back.

"What?" He frowns.

"Maybe she'll knock some sense into him." I shrug.

"For once in your life," We hear Sarah say as he grab's John B's arm and forces him to turn around, "would you please just turn around and walk away? Please."

John B stops. He just stands there, staring at Sarah, eyes full of rage and sadness. He says nothing, but at least he's not hitting anyone either.

"Oh, wow." JJ mutters. "She really did something."

"Good for us," I say, pointing with my chin at Mike Carrera, slowly pacing towards my brother, "We have to get out of here."

But just as JJ and I were going to call for my brother to come, just when I thought we had dodged a bullet, Topper spoke.

"Hey, no hard feelings, bro." He laughs. "We good?"

I can pinpoint the exact second my brother's eyes shifted from tenderness towards Sarah, to just blind rage towards Topper. The second John B turned around, biting the side of his mouth, I knew it wasn't going to end good.

It didn't matter how loud Sarah wanted to scream JB's name, his fist had already flown through the air and had sent a punch to the side of Topper's face, sending him to the ground.

"Oh, fuck." I mumbled, tripping on my own feet running to get to my brother.

"You like that shit, Top?" I hear him say while he shakes his fist, pacing towards Topper who lays on the ground. "You ready for this?"

As John B stands over Topper, punching his face repeatedly, all I can't think about is how it doesn't matter how hard Sarah tries, she's not gonna get through him. She doesn't have that power anymore.

I break into a run, trying to get to my brother as fast as I can.

"John B, stop!"

I grab his arm, trying to stop him from punching Topper again. Instead, he shakes me off, elbowing me on my mouth. Two seconds later I feel the salty and metallic taste on my mouth, and I have to take a deep breath to not kill JB right there and then.

I throw myself at him again, this time being a little more lucky. I struggle trying to keep him still. Mr Carrera gets to us, and he grabs me by my waist lifting me in the air, throwing me out of the way before grabbing John B and pushing him off Topper. But JB doesn't care about anything now, he's too blind with emotions.