15

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
i defied death for this

I walk alone back to the Chateau. When I get there, Kie is there, sitting alone. She notices my reddened cheeks and watery eyes, and immediately stands up and runs to me knitting her eyebrows.

"What happened?" She asks, wrapping me in a safe and warm hug.

"I'm not sure, Kie." I sob, clinging to her as much as I can.

She walks me to the surf shack, careful not to trip. She sits us down on the couch, and holds one of my hands while she pushes the hair out of my face with her other hand.

"Come on, Bee. Breathe. You're fine. You're fine!" She sweetly calms me down, rubbing my arms and my hands. My breathing slows down, and I hiccup, having no more tears left in my body. "There you go, keep breathing like that."

"I- I'm o- okay." I hiccup. I wipe the tears on my nose with my hand, and put the hair that falls behind my ear.

"Okay," Kiara smiles softly. "What happened?"

"He- he left me." My voice cracks.

Kiara's brow furrows, and she slightly shakes her head, "Who? John B?"

"JJ." I sniff.

Her features morph into confusion. She looks between both of my eyes, trying to find a joke, a prank or delusion, maybe. Her lips part, but she closes her mouth again. She cocks her head, closing her eyes for a second, and when she opens them again, she says,

"JJ left you?" She asks carefully, "What does that mean?"

"He -he said there's no we-" I try to explain, with my voice quivering and my lip trembling. "He left me there, crying."

"Alright, come here." She says sweetly. She pulls me into a hug. I rest my head on her chest, as she wraps her arms around me. She keeps one around my head, and uses her hand to caress through my hair.

"I love him so much, Kie." I cry, holding on to her arm while I soak her top with my salty tears.

"I know, Bee. I know. He loves you so much too." She whispers close to my head. "He must be overwhelmed by everything. Just give him time. He'll come back. You know how he is."

"I know Kie, but I'm scared too. My dad is alive, I'm trying to deal with that. And he does this?" I burst into tears again. My throat itches and hurts and every sound that comes out of it scratches it as if it were claws.

"I know Brizo," Kiara holds me tighter, "I know."

"I just wanted to talk. I know he'll come around but-"