23

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
the three horsemen of the apocalypse

Believe it or not, three people sleeping pressed together on the pullout couch outside JJ's porch is not as comfortable as it may sound.

And of course, no one listened to me when I begged for a quick stop at home for a shower and a change of clothes. You see... this is how I start noticing things are bad.

When we start running out of time for showers and combing hair and changing clothes... Yeah, that's when you know you're probably going to end up stranded on a deserted island. Again.

"Walk me through it one more time." JJ asks again.

"We've been over it five times, J." I roll my eyes, perching between the two front seats of the Twinkie.

"Okay, right there." John B aggressively points at the map opened on JJ's lap, not taking his eyes off the road. "That's where they're taking him. That's the site of the idol."

JJ glances back at me with a deadpan look, and then back at the map, and then back at John B, "You pointed to just South America, you understand that, right?"

"Yep." My brother simply nods his head.

"Awesome." I clap my hands together, "So that's all we know?"

"That he's somewhere in South America? So happy we have the map, then."

"You know, John B, South America has 12 countries, and nearly 400 million people-" I start speaking facts, half sarcastically, half unamused.

"How you know all that?" JJ asks, as I stretch out my arm to take the map from his hands.

"I watch documentaries with Pope all the time." I state, as if it was obvious.

I take the map with me, carefully placing it on the floor of the Twinkie. I sit down there, grabbing one of the markers from my bag.

John B is such a bad fucking driver that every bump he takes on the road makes me shift to the sides of the car. I have to grab the marker in between my teeth to not drop it while I search for another map in my bag.

"Documentaries, yeah, of course. How could I've missed that?" JJ replies sarcastically.

With the help of the second map, my eyes search for the Orinoco river in South America. It takes me a couple of minutes, but I find it.

I tighten the grip of my teeth on the cap of the marker, as I take it off. I slide it across the river, marking it with red ink to make it more visible. I put the cap back on, and toss the marker inside my bag again.