37

CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

road to el dorado, pt 2

Walking through the jungle that this place is, is not as fun as it first sounded. My feet hurt, I'm pretty sure dozens of mosquitos have bitten me, and I'm worried about if I'll get a fever because of the water, the mosquitos or whatever it was that got in my mouth while I was talking earlier.

On top of that, I can't stop thinking about my brother and Sarah. And even though I try not to, I think about my father too. I just can't help but think about the possibilities.

When we found the Merchant gold, it all seemed too good to be true. I never allowed myself much time to think about my future. It just wasn't part of the plan. That summer everything I knew was slowly changing. I became an orphan, DCS was knocking on my door and I could barely pay our family's debts. The only good thing I had going was my friends, my brother and my good grades.

That went to shit too when I got too depressed because of my brother's disappearance to force myself to study for finals.

So now that all of this is almost over, what am I supposed to do? Are we supposed to go back to normal as if none of this ever happened? How am I supposed to do that when I don't even have a house to come back to?

In my first year of high-school I dreamed of going to college, I dreamed of our graduation. I dreamed of getting on that stage, diploma in my hand, and my friends by my side. None of that seems possible now. There's no way they'll let us graduate.

Sometimes I think JJ can read my thoughts as if it was an open book. I can tell he knows what I'm thinking about as he swings his machete, trying to clear the way for us as we move forward.

It's gotten to a point where none of us is speaking. At first we would hum a song in unison, trying to pass time. Then, since we had plenty of time, we gave Cleo an in depth explanation of our lives, of The Cut, of everything. We told her a lot while in Poguelandia, but now that she has lived in The Cut herself, she is curious to know more. That went on for a while, the five of us laughing at memories from our childhood, first impressions and embarrassing stories.

Then everyone got quiet as we got higher up in the mountain. There was a point where we agreed to rest for a while. Cleo and Pope went their own way, and when we went to find them they were acting so fucking weird.

I told Kie they had kissed for sure. She rolled her eyes and told me to drop it. But Pope looked like a five year old on Christmas morning. Yeah. I know my friend. He's fallen and he's fallen hard.

And now here we are, trying to find our way to El Dorado, with nothing but a weird map and the sounds of the jungle to guide us.

The quietness is interrupted by what we can only imagine is an explosion, and that sound makes my heart drop to my stomach as I watch the birds fly away startled by the sound.