11

CHAPTER ELEVEN
the dark side of ambition

"All right, so what's the plan, Pops?" John B asks, tying up the boat to the dock.

"Just like I said, Bird, just a little pit stop to get that thing I was telling you about, then goodbye Bridgetown."

"Okay," I say, standing with my arms crossed next to my dad. "And this thing, is there?" I point at the place in front of us, a small shop with a sign that reads Bridgetown Antiques.

"Exactly." He squeezes my shoulders, "Come on, partners. Back me up."

I sigh, dropping my arms at my sides. My brother pats my back and urges me out of the boat, "Let's make this quick."

"When have we been that lucky, John?"

The Antiques place is actually a dream come true. My eyes can't help but wander around, scanning every item they can find, imagining the stories behind.

A year ago I had a conversation with Pope that still remains in the back of my mind. He asked what I wanted to do after high school. I said I didn't know, with all that was happening, I hadn't put much thought into that. He asked me what I liked, and I surprised myself by answering that I liked the treasure hunt.

I like the adrenaline, the feeling of success after solving a riddle or finding something you thought lost. I loved spending time with my friends in our own little adventure.

Pope suggested I could major in archeology.

After this month stranded on an island, I don't think I'll ever even be able to graduate high school. Let alone go to college.

I guess that's just something else I've lost too.

I stand behind my brother, while we patiently wait for the man to kick out his current client. And I say kick out, because as soon as he sees my father, his expression changes.

"Dad, what are we doing?" My brother asks, noticing the same demeanor I did.

"Just got to pick something up. Only take a minute."

"Yeah, you've already said that." I complain.

"RJ," My father speaks to the man.

"John," He greets as amicably as he can, "Please come." He guides us inside.

John B and I follow reluctantly. I can tell my twin is as excited as I am to be brought here. He actually is keeping me close to him, with one arm always extended, as if he was trying to protect me from a danger he doesn't know is coming.

"So, what are you doing here, John?" RJ questions, "What do you want?"

Our father pulls out the gun from behind him, cocking it and pointing it at the man we've just met. I can't believe my eyes.