33

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE

liberation mission

John B hasn't let me drive the Twinkie in a while. I'm not gonna lie, I'm actually terrified of somehow damaging the car. I have zero doubts that John B would murder me in the blink of an eye.

I park the car in front of Kiara's house. Her parents are outside, sitting on the stairs holding hands. Not a good sign if you ask me.

"They don't look too happy to see us." I mumble under my breath as I take the keys out of the ignition.

"All right, let's do this, babe." JJ exhales. Both of us step out of the car. JJ fakes a smile, "Howdy, y'all. Lovely afternoon."

"JJ, Brizo, do not come on my property." Mike Carrera puts up his hand, "Not even a little bit."

I raise my hands up in surrender. JJ looks at me out of the corner of his eye, and bows his head down, taking a step back while I step forward, closing the car's door after me.

"You know why we're here," my jaw clenches as I take a breath, "We want to see Kiara. We were supposed to hear from her, and we haven't yet, so-"

Anna stands up and carefully walks down the stairs of her porch, getting closer to us. She puts her hand on her waist while she rests her other hand on the handrail. Her expression says she's tired, or maybe sad. Might even be both.

"Brizo, she's not here."

"Like we're supposed to believe that?" JJ chuckles, "All right, um, well, then where is she?"

But I know where she is. They've sent her away. They really sent their only daughter away.

"JJ, she's not here." I tell him, holding Mike's stare with my chin held up.

"Yeah, let's just say you're not gonna see her for a while. All right?"

"So you've really decided the best thing for her was to get rid of her?" I voice my thoughts out loud as a muscle in my jaw twitches.

"We sent her someplace where she can try and rebuild what you and your friends destroyed."

I can't hold back the laugh that comes out of my mouth. Kiara's parents give me a dirty look, however I can't stop. Anna looks at me with a scowl. JJ has slowly made his way to me around the car, slowly grabbing my wrist and pulling me back.

"You really don't know shit about your own daughter, uh?" I keep laughing. "You think a wilderness camp is gonna change the fact that she's a Pogue at heart?"