24

CHAPTER  TWENTY-FOUR
persaud?

There's a side of The Cut where I usually never go. It's the side where dangerous people work, you know? It's one thing to be a broke dumb teenager stealing shit trying to live another day, and it's another thing being a smuggler.

John B and I used to work by the coast, helping out local fishermen and that kind of stuff. However, I do know people around here are employed by some dangerous people to work for a minimum wage. It's mostly agricultural work, but if you ask the right questions, they'll lead to where the big money is.

JJ and his ideas have led us to one of these camps. There are a lot of people around, driving tractors, working the fields or taking care of the product harvested.

JJ and John B step out of the Twinkie. JJ comes to slide the door open for me, and waits until I'm out to close it again. He then throws his arm around my shoulders carelessly, as we join John B, walking towards the nearest workers.

"Okay, now, so let me get this straight," My brother says, "So, because you know a guy with the same last name as Neville, you think they've gotta be related. That's your master plan?"

"How many Routledges do you know, JB?" I cock my eyebrows at him.

"That's not the same."

"Why not?" A playful smirk plasters on my face.

"Just- Shut up." My brother pushes my face further away from him, making me laugh.

"See?," JJ says proudly, "How many people do you know with the last name Persaud?"

"No one, actually." I nod my head.

"I met a guy here last summer with my cousin 'cause we're doing the growing business. Last name Persaud."

JJ drops his arm from my shoulders, mainly because of the minor glances John B was giving us. I gotta say though, I'm very proud of him for not trying to kill JJ this time!

"Or wait," JJ says, stopping abruptly. John B and I stop too a step further, looking back at him. "Was it Percett?"

"Oh, J, seriously?" I groan, pinching the bridge of my nose.

"No, no, no, no." John B says, taking his hands out of his pockets. He grabs JJ's shoulder, "Okay, you think-"

"No, no, no-"

"'Cause this is our dad's life we're talking about."

"No, I know. I know Mr Persaud." JJ is quick to defend himself, grabbing both of my brother's shoulders. "Trust me. It's cool."

JJ eyes a black man behind us, and he smiles innocently, waving shyly at him. John B and I follow his lead, just because there's nothing else we can do about it.