6

CHAPTER SIX
we fucked our way into this, we'll fuck our way out

I never thought I would hate a trip to Barbados. Yet, here I am.

We've been walking for hours, following Cleo to a place apparently she knows where we can shelter for the night.

The sun is long gone, and the defeat in our bodies is noticeable. Sarah can't take a step without grimacing. Me, I'm way meaner and smarter than her, and I made JJ carry me for half the way.

"Cleo, do you actually know where you're going?" JJ asks for the seventh time.

We're walking by the shore, sharp rocks on our side creating a barrier. Cleo finally stops and points at the other side of the rocks, where an abandoned building towers over the deserted beach.

"We can hole up here." She explains. "It ain't the Taj Mahal, but..."

"It'll do."

"It's not like we can afford a five star hotel so, come on." I sigh.

"I get the biggest room." Cleo croons, and leads the way through a path between the rocks.

The place is completely abandoned, and apparently it didn't even get to a finished stage of the construction. There are no windows, just massive holes that let through the chill air of the evening. The soles of my shoes scrape the ground, little stones and gravel all around.

We hide behind the thick walls of the guards that drive by still looking for us. When the coast is clear, we hurry up the stairs to the upper levels, where we hope we can get some rest and sleep at least for a few hours.

Cleo takes us to what I think was the main floor, where a beautiful balcony with stone arches takes all the limelight. There are folding-chairs, drums with rests of someone else's campfire and pieces of broken furniture.

"We can stay here. It's an old hotel. Terrance and I squatted here before."

"Five stars." JJ says ironically.

Still, the Pogues scatter around the place, looking for a place to rest. Blondie and I stay behind, and we share a look. With a sigh, I take a step forward, and for some reason I lose my balance.

I feel myself falling forward and down, but luckily a strong grip in my arm pulls me back. Sarah is holding my arm as hard as she can with wide eyes.

I'm not sure what happened. I frown and look down, and I see that I had been seconds away to fall through a massive sinkhole in the middle of the floor.

"Watch your step."

"Could've worn me five seconds earlier, C."

"Oh, home sweet home." Blondie says, letting go of my arm.