3

CHAPTER THREE
we're having a crisis

"What the hell was that?!" Pope yells. "Why would they want to kidnap Kiara? It doesn't make any sense!"

"Not that it helps, but I'm pretty sure they wanted to kidnap all of us. They just got her." I rub my eyes with the heels of my hands.

My arms and legs are too tired for me to move. I've been lying on the sand ever since we crawled out of the water. Cleo braided my hair for me, she did what she could with what she had.

I know JJ is sitting somewhere near me, because he hasn't let me out of his sight since I accidentally kicked him in the groin trying to break free from him.

"But why would they take her if they wanted us all?"

"It's called bait." JJ answers, in hopes that Pope will stop.

"I'm so sick of this." Sarah groans. "Do you think there's any way we could trust the cops?" She ask mainly to JJ.

"Blondie, I love you, but I think you've hit your head way harder than any of us." I scrunch up my face.

"You seriously think your daddy hasn't called them already?" JJ replies meanly to her.

I swat his leg, which is what I have nearer me, and I frown pointing my finger at him. "Don't talk to her like that."

JJ sighs watching Sarah looking down to the ground. It doesn't take a genius to know she's feeling guilty about this whole situation.

"Shit, I'm sorry, Sarah."

"It's okay..." She smiles sadly.

"I have a crazy idea," Pope speaks, making me sit straight with interest, "why don't we call my parents?"

"And say what, Pope?" John B questions.

"And say we're alive!" He cries. "I haven't seen my family in I don't know how long. They're probably worried sick about me. We can just call and maybe ask them to wire us some money or something."

"All right, that still doesn't help Kiara." I point out. "And we would be putting them in danger, also."

"I got a better idea." JJ speaks, grabbing something from his back pocket. "And faster." He takes out a money clip between his two fingers.

"Oh, that's my boy right there." I clap for JJ who smirks and winks at me.

"Whose is that?" Blondie asks.

"Does it matter? It's money!" I stand up, shaking the sand from my very worn out shorts.

"You think I'm gonna go through someone's backpack and not pinch their wallet?"