Eywa and Reunions

"I can't apologize enough for taking so long to see you."
He's already drowning himself in tears by the time his brother reaches out and touches his shoulders.
"So much happened after .. we all needed time to process."

"It is okay, baby brother." He smiles so brightly as he leans in to him just like old times.
"—I am not upset."

"Im... just... so happy.. to see you again." His voice breaks between words as he can't hold back anymore tears, his palms around his cheeks when he can't wipe them away with just a finger fast enough.

"Do not cry, Lo'ak." He moves in closer and brings his brothers face to his shoulder. "—I am okay here."

"You shouldn't be here, though." He strains his voice. "I'm so sorry. You're my big brother. I let you down in the end. It was my idea to-"

"—Don't." Niikeym says sharply, and pats his hand down lo'ak's back.
"Do not blame yourself for what has happened to me."

"We all do." Lo'ak admits, curling into his brothers hold.
"But I was the one who wanted to save Spider."

"Lo'ak." He pulls him back slightly to look into his eyes with a building sincerity.
"You may have been the one who ordered it, but I followed. I knew it wouldn't be fair to leave him behind, so I went with you.
That falls on me.
I should have held you back or refused, but he is our brother, too.
—And just like you, I realized I couldn't leave him, either."

Lo'ak can't even bring himself to respond, only falling more into his brothers hold the more he cries.

And Niikeym refuses to loosen his hold on him.

"What happened after I left, exactly?"

Lo'ak sniffles a bit as his eyes finally open again.
"Dad killed Quaritch. Da'mik and Mom got badly hurt. The family accepted Payakan, and now Uncle Norm is keeping an eye as best he can on the RDA since they're planning on moving in soon."

"He killed him?" Niikeym responds to that bit first. "He's gone?" A happier tone to his voice with the good news.

"Yes, and I hope he stays that way this time." He rubs the back of his hand against his nose. "I'd never seen Dad so devastated, or Mom so broken before, Niikeym. They only held back because Tuk, spider, and Da'mik were at risk."

"How did Mom and Da'mik get hurt?"

He hates having to think about that, and how hard it hit the family as they mourned Niikeym without them both for a few days.

"Spider was helping me look for dad after he fought Quaritch. I find him, but Spider must have gotten lost. We were all away and safe from the ship, but Da'mik refused to leave him behind again. Mom went after him, and they both ended up in comas."

Niikeyms face falls at the realization, his heart hurting for the family he could no longer be there to protect.
"Are they okay, now?"

You and Jake had visited already for the funeral... Tuk hadn't been by to see him because she couldn't process it fully just yet... Kiri, damik, and spider couldn't connect to the tree.. so that only really left Lo'ak as able to come visit him for the time being.

As much as you and Jake wanted to be there every day, there was a reason it was a ceremonial or cultural thing not do it so often.

Life on this planet was about connecting with your past, while using it to move forward. Grateful for your heritage and learnings, but refusing to let them hold you back from growth and emotional independence.

Even if Tsu'tey broke it himself often, to the point where Sylwannin didn't even realize she was dead.

"Yes, thankfully. Da'mik had it so much worse, broken ribs and all. He and Spider have a mobile base Norm brought over for them to use, so they're able to at least take a breather on occasion."