No winning

Spider and Da'mik had taken to sleeping on the same side of the pod of you and Jake for a change — Tuk had wanted to lay closer and watch the waves with Kiri since she couldn't sleep as easily as the others.

Slowly, she was getting there. It went from every night, to every other night, to now being down to a few times a week.

Any improvement was better than none, though. Something you certainly appreciated.

Although, that doesn't mean the other kids didn't have trouble.

They each seemed to have their turn of sleepless nights, guilt, and needing a shoulder to cry on.

That was one thing that greatly helped with Ronal and Tonowaris new child, he offered a comfort to the kids. He was something new to cherish, and they each appreciated having a part in helping raise him - regardless of being siblings or friends to him.

Speaking of earlier, Spider is sleep-talking again, and almost sobbing into his mask as he turns a few times over. Like he's trying to swat away at something.

You move Jake's arm off of your body, and crawl over to him as he's still mumbling a few different things.
"Hey." You gently shake at him. "Spider."

It doesn't take much to wake him, thankfully, and he looks up toward you as he comes to. Remembering where he is, and recognizing that it's just another nightmare.

"Spider." You call out again, and offer a hand as you have him follow you out to the shore. Giving him a place to speak freely without worrying about concerning the others.
"What happened?"

"I keep dreaming of being kidnapped again. It's like I can't escape it.
No matter where I am or where I go, it's either the ash people or the RDA."
Except this time, his father doesn't show to save him. He fears that even though Quaritch tried to return, there's always a chance he wasn't accepted back in since he failed his mission. His one protector, despite how much he hated him, was gone.

"I'm sorry the nightmares are getting worse."

"I wish I knew how to make them stop."

"Sometimes you can't." You hate to admit.
"I tried for so long. It seems like the second I was pregnant with Niikeym and Da'mik, all I worried about was your father. Regardless of him being dead. I kept seeing Quaritch."

"Maybe it was foreshadowing?" Spider suggests, pointing out how it directly related to the two who suffered the most from that battle.
"...and maybe there's where mines going, too."

"Hey." You crouch down and reach a hand out to his shoulder.
"Look."
And you have to take a seat beside him on the shore.
"They're not taking you.
Not again. I'll do anything I can to stop it from happening, I promise you.
I know we can't make up for what's happened in the past, we can only do our best moving forward. And that includes you, Spider. You're part of this family."

He chokes up at the last phrase, guilt bubbling up to the top of his throat.

"I'm sorry your father wasn't a better man."

He doesn't look in your direction from then, not even once.

"I don't want to push you, but if you want to talk about something specific - we're here. I'm here."

He spares a small glance in your direction.
Contemplating what's worth it or not.
Maybe you'd be the one person to try to understand where he was coming from, maybe not.

He had his reasons for what he did, regardless of how others felt.

Maybe it was time he show his trust in the family, and tell someone. Stop hiding and running from this.