Parenthood

"Wow. He's huge." Norms jaw drops completely as everyone rides in closer with their ilu.
"I've studied and seen so much of them on paper and in videos, but this is the first time seeing one in person."

Lo'ak happily laughs at the way Norms face lights up so peacefully, simply amazed with Payakan as he swims in closer to greet everyone.

Lia isn't far behind, mimicking the same facial expressions Norm does.
"Holy crap. He's magnificent."

"He sure is." Aonung suddenly joins in with his thoughts, and it's no surprise that your kids roll their eyes at him. Anytime he found a place to bud in or speak to Lia, he took it.
"You should see when the Tulkun all come in from their migration patterns. It's a large celebration every year."

You never guessed it could be an issue, but he really has been a bit too ... welcoming, if that's even the right term, since Lia arrived. Barely any room for her to explore with just her family considering he and Rotxo had to be around.

Which wasn't all bad.

"Hey buddy." Lo'ak moves in first with Tsireya sitting behind him on the same ilu, and they wave for Lia and Norm to join as he introduces them.
"This is my Uncle Norm — and my Cousin Lia. I've told you about them before. They came to visit. I hope it's okay that I brought them."

Payakan sounds, and although you don't know every note and tone he uses — it's enough to get by and read his emotions.
He's happy to see more people, quite thankful to have a larger family around.
It was definitely something he could get pleasingly used to.

"You want to go for a ride?" Lo'ak asks them both, and Norm hesitates for a moment.
Lia, however, is already jumping on as Tsireya helps her over and they grab on to one of Payakan's fins.

"Come onnnnnn." Lia calls to her father. "It'll be fun!"

He's such a sucker for when she wants to do something, but it helps. She's the whole reason he ever gets out anymore.

You watch as he climbs on, so focused that you don't even realize Jake's hand reaching around your lower waist as he pulls you in closer to his chest.

As soon as the kids are off, you and Jake are as well.
The skimwing has no trouble keeping up, and as Payakan slows down for a moment so Norm can adjust — you come across the front of them and Lo'ak gives you a beautiful smile of a greeting.

Something you return as Jake points it out to you, and it warms your heart knowing how happy and loved your youngest son feels in this moment.

Jake brings you both back up for air, and not even a full minute has passed before you hear the other kids play fighting out in the distance.

"You know, you could have gone a bit slower. I would not have fallen off that way!" Spider's clearly soaked, and pulling himself back on the ilu. It seems he didn't have a tight enough grasp on Kiri, and was sent flying backwards as she dove in.

"I said I was sorry!" She can't help but laugh despite how sincere she meant to sound.

Taytsi and Da'mik seem a little closer lately— usually he'd be with one of his siblings or Rotxo, but he's taken to riding with her any time he gets the chance.

Da'mik spider Kiri Lo'ak Tuk Lia norm Rotxo aonung Tsireya

"I say throw him back in, Kiri." Lo'ak calls out. "He deserves it."

"What the hell did I do?" Spider calls out defensively.

"You're bad mouthing her when it's your own fault for not holding on, skxawng." Lo'ak responds before he ducks back under, and Tsireya isn't far behind as they free dive together.