Painful regret

The world was spinning, and the sound of the helicopter blades were almost deafening. The heat was unbearable, and the smell of smoke filled the air.

You could feel the sweat pouring down your face, mingling with the blood from the gash on your forehead.

You tried so hard to focus on something, anything, but your vision was blurred and thoughts scattered.

Now was the time to jump. And although you knew you were falling — falling out of the helicopter and into the sea below.. it felt as if, for a moment -  everything went black, and you felt weightless, suspended in the air.

Hoping Arohk would find his way to you before you hit the water below — but to no avail.

The impact knocked the air from your lungs, and you could feel yourself sinking, deeper and deeper into the darkness.

It was a struggle to stay conscious, to fight your way to the surface.

Your lungs burned, your body feeling heavy and sluggish.

Before you knew it, a hand wrapped around your torso and threw you over a skimwing as you reached the surface in seconds.

Gasping and coughing between heavy and drawn out blinks.

You're too disoriented to even hear at first, not even realizing it was Tonowari who pulled you to and helped you sit up in front of him.

Everything is still just a mix of colors as you rub the water out from your eyes - but there's no mistaking the shape of the Samson as it hits the water level.

The helicopter was gone, swallowed up by the flames as were the humans aboard it.

You were lucky to be alive, but it wasn't hard to tell that this battle was far from over.

Tonowari calls your name a few more times, waiting until you're fully there to speak any further.

His strong grip leaves a warming sense of security and reassurance.

"We have Jake... and Norm." He shortly explains. "We've gathered some of the children, but the others were taken before we could shoot them down. There were too many."

You brush your hair out of the way, and look up to him as you settle in on the skimwing. He's surveying the area for anyone else, checking that the coast is clear and no humans are able to come to the surface.
    "Where are they?"

His grip adjusts as he helps you, making sure you're safe as he heads off for land.

"We do not know yet. But we will go after them." Tonowari insists. "We did not know which Samson had them. We only managed to shoot down a few."

It felt like being in a never ending nightmare.   
     heart pounding, hands shaking. 

You tried to listen to the rest of his words, to truly focus, but it was all a blur.

Despite being pulled out - It still felt like being underwater, left to drown with no vest.

Your mind is fuzzy at the event of things. You don't remember much, and it's hardly a surprise when you realize the harsh 'thorn' of a dart sticking out of your side.

No explanation needed as to who that come from this time, or why you're having trouble remembering anything.

"Where are they going?" You ask, hands now trembling as you try to keep a solid grasp on Tonowari as he speeds up.

"Payakan is after them. I told him to stay hidden as best he could, and report back to us. He has some of my men with him, and they will follow as far as they can."