Forgiveness | 2 🔞

"I truly hope it never comes to that." You express softly, still cradled against his chest as he rubs his thumb soothingly along your shoulder.

"I hope so, too.
None of us know what the future holds, we have to prepare for anything."

As you go to finally stand - he grabs for your wrist and pulls you back in.

"What?" You ask, confused.

"Stay a little longer? We may as well enjoy it." He leans in and presses his nose to yours. "Since we're leaving in a day or two."

You frown a bit, knowingly upset that you'd have to leave so soon.
This was always a temporary venture out here, staying too long would only rile the RDA up even more.

You softly sigh as Jake pulls you up, and adjusts you so he can carry you down to the creek.

So much like old times, before the kids were even here.

It's as if no time had ever passed.

You tense when Jake first steps in the water, feeling the colder temperature coming up your back as he walks to the center.

Once you're settled, you pull yourself away to dive under and rinse off from the earlier battle.

By the time Jake swims over and joins, every bit as naked as you are - he finds your mind wandering as you stand there with your brows furrowed.

"What is it?" He approaches, and comes up behind you as he wraps his arms around your waist.

"I'm confused, is all. About the dart.
Maybe it was a new recom? I don't really think Ikeyni would be here, let alone attacking one of us - she wouldn't even use darts in a battle like this... if she had happened across us and helped — why didn't she stop to say anything?"

"Norms already sent someone to talk with her, we will have to wait til they get back to know more. It could have been one of her men for all we know."

"I'm just.. I don't know. None of this makes sense. Not even for the RDA. It was harmless? I'm fine... aside from being knocked out.. I have no symptoms. They kill, not hurt or-"

"Maybe, if it is them, they had some ulterior motives?"

"I guess." You sigh again, defeated.
"It's going to drive me nuts not knowing what's going on."

"Hey, you both made it out alive. I'd rather focus on that right now."
And he kisses at your neck.
"Norm got the intel, thats a huge win for us."

You reach back to grab for his fingers that dangle over your shoulder.
"If they find out kleiner did this, they'll kill him while he's in cryo. I know they will."

"It's a sacrifice worth making. He sent off what he needed to right? To associates back on earth? So everything is fine. He's doing what he has to."

You shut your eyes for a moment, and Jake walks around to face you as you slow your breathing to calm yourself.
He touches your face sweetly as he brings his forehead to meet yours.

"No matter what it takes, I hope this is all over soon. I hope they're all killed off or permanently driven back to earth and left to-"

"They will be, baby." He soothes. "At the end of all of this, we're going to make sure of that."

Your eyes meet his just as he pulls away, and he brings you in for a kiss that turns into more the longer it goes on.

You have to part for a small moment to catch your breath.
"Have you been holding up okay since the shot?"