Newcomings

The kids are all sitting around as you and Jake finish cooking up dinner. It's the first time in a long while that they've gotten to eat hexapede.
   A little something to keep them at ease from being both high-camp-home-sick, and Awa'atlu-home-sick.

Jake notices the way you stare out at Lo'ak and Kiri - a faint smile across your lips at the way Lo'ak holds her so sweetly. Trying his best to comfort her.

"What?" He asks, concerned.

And though your gaze stays on the kids, his eyes follow as he looks over them.
   "I know I've said it before, but.. as they get older - It's like looking at you and Grace, only younger. It's bittersweet."

He leans forward to turn over a piece of meat on the fire, and chuckles softly.
"He sure gets on her nerve as much as I did with Grace."

"Poor Kiri." You laugh. "She has to deal with Lo'ak and Da'mik. Two of you. I couldn't have done it."
He playfully hits your arm as he scrunches his nose, offended at your words.
"-If I had to grow up with you and Tom, I would've run away."

"I don't blame you." Norm joins in. "I'd have done the same. One hard headed skxawng was enough."

"Oh please, we weren't that bad together." Jake defends.

"Not what Tom told me." Norm corrects. "He said you had to be sent off to the military after they lowered the age requirement because you were the one antagonizing everything."

"What?" You look to him. "You told me you went by choice for the benefits."

"I mean-" Jake shrugs. "I kinda did. I could have run away— Hey! Ouch!"
  He rubs at the sore spot on his shoulder where you've flicked him.

"I can't believe you lied to me about that."

"I didn't! Not technically...."

"Cut it out before someone gets burned." Max joins in. "I'd rather not have you three fight, kill each other, and then leave me alone to defend these kids."

"It's fine." You insist. "Jake's got his ass straightened out either way, so we're good."

He shoots you a look, truly dealing with someone else being the antagonizer for once.

Tuk makes her way over to you, and climbs into your lap as she expresses that she's cold — and asks when dinner is going to be ready.

Norm hands you a blanket to bundle her up in, and you use a toothpick to pick up a piece of cubed meat to feed to Tuk.
   "Watch out, it's hot." And you blow on it before she so cutely takes it, and nibbles on the sides with a smile of relief.

You lean down to kiss her forehead, and as Jake brings his hand over to rub his palm against her hair - you notice the new growth showing on her head.
    "-we'll have to get your braids redone soon, Tuk-tuk. Unless you want a different style?"

"I like 'reyas hair." She says. "It's so long and pretty."

"You can grow it out if you want to. It takes time, though. I can take your braids out and give you bigger ones like Da'mik has?"

"Ooooh." She expresses cutely. "Sure, mama."

You barely frown as you place your chin on top of her head.
Your last baby.
Growing up far too soon.
She's almost caught up to Da'mik and Spider, soon due to bypass them by the next season.

Jake and Norm start to plate things to hand out to the kids - a mix of meat and vegetables, fruits, or sweets.

It was convenient that there were a larger number of foods both humans and Navi could share.