Boys

It was Friday. School ended about two hours ago and all the students were in the hostel; everyone already leaving or preparing to leave for labour except the Ss3 students that weren't prefects.
The prefects were the ones to supervise the rest of the students alongside the labour master, Mr Musa, and few other teachers to check in every now and then. The Ss3 students were exempted from labour because of their approaching Jamb and Waec exams.
It was a relief for her after having to endure two years of it. Most of her mates had been students of the school right from Jss1 so they were used to it.
She had a few friends that were prefects; Kehinde B, Toyosi, Sarah, and about five of her roommates. There were seventy prefects in total.
Sometimes she envied them. They had nice privileges like having their own separate room for eating in the refectory called 'The Blue square', plus their food was much more sweeter and in greater amount than that of the rest of the school; they were greatly respected and liked by teachers and students; they could bypass certain rules and a few other minor privileges. Not to forget the monthly sumptuous dinner the Principal gave them. But as usual with every advantage, there was a disadvantage. Most of the perfect posts; especially ones like Head prefect, Refectory prefect, Labour and Assembly prefect and even house prefects; could be very tiring.
Toyosi, who was the house prefect of her house, Dimilang, always complained to her of the stress but at the end she always ended by saying the food took away the stress.
Kaito was also a prefect, the Labour prefect. He would be out now chasing the stubborn junior boys with the whip he liked to carry when in prefect mode.
His assistant was Nonso, the punishment lover, he had a degree in dishing out punishments; the juniors were scared of him. He was always strict and unsmiling with them, probably one of the reasons he was honoured with the post, Kaito too. Labour prefects were always strict and bold, the duty required force. Danielle smith and a girl she couldn't remember her name at the moment were the female Labour prefect and assistant respectively.
Kehinde B was the Library prefect; her assistant, Tunde Thomas, she claimed was a pain in her feminist ass. Kehinde said Tunde was always trying to do her duty, making her look bad and irresponsible. Kamsi thought he was suffering from a blow to his male ego, having to be the assistant to a girl.
She sighed, rolling unto her side on her bed and grabbing the packet of chips she kept at the side. She opened it, popping one in her mouth. She felt like she was supposed to be reading but she didn't feel like it.
"Trade by barter." Kelechi announced.
"For what?" the rest of the girls in the room chorused.
"Garri for cornflakes." was Kelechi's answer.
Hisses followed.
"What kind of trade is that?" Kamsi chuckled.
"Abi, who would do that one?" Jamilah confirmed.
"I'm just joking" Kelechi pouted, "though I would have done it. Pure bliss for crackers."
Judith shot up from her bed, "What crackers?" She asked immediately.
"Anyone. No, Kemps."
Judith hissed, falling back on her bed.
"Oya, let's trade." Jamilah saved the day, jumping down from her top bed.
"Me, I need groundnuts." Ifeoma sighed.
"You are addicted to that stuff." Kamsi admonished.
"Is it my fault? And don't say it is the cause of my pimples, it isn't only oil that causes pimples." Ifeoma countered, using a mirror to view her face; pressing one of the numerous pimples on her face.
"Stop popping it." Judith snapped with barely hidden disgust.
"I'll give you groundnuts for those your sweets." Kamsi offered.
"I can give you only five, it's almost finished."
She agreed and went down her bed to the box room, grabbing her keys from her locker. She made sure she brought enough groundnuts whenever she was returning from home and her definition of enough was about two litres of it. She loved the tiny nuts especially when she took it with garri or bread, even garden egg.
"Who understands Ac circuit?" Judith asked, flipping through her physics note, a Physics textbook beside her and a pen in hand.
"Why would you need to understand the Ac? Just buy it and tell the electrician to fix it in for you." Ifeoma joked lamely.
"Very funny" Judith scoffed, "Kamsi?"
"I can try. I've not read the topic well."
"You know what" Judith sighed, "never mind." She threw her books down on the floor, going back to staring aimlessly at the ceiling.
"Beware of procrastination!" Jamilah shouted, ripping open a pack of the pure bliss biscuit she just collected from Kelechi, "It kills."  She finished in a whisper.
"If not that we have to sleep here, Debola would have moved in with Nonso. That girl ehh." Ifeoma complained.
"How do you know she's with Nonso?" Judith asked with a slight hint of mockery in her tone.
"Nonso is the assistant male Labour prefect na, he'll be doing his job with Tochukwu." Jamilah agreed.
"With Debola at his beck and call." Ifeoma sneered.
"What's your own with Debola sef?" Kamsi chuckled, shaking her head. She got back on her bed, her trade with Ifeoma completed.
Debola was one of their roommates. They were fourteen in the room; Nancy, Faridah, Ejiro, Bisi and Aisha were prefects so were not present; Blessing, Debola and Angel were somewhere else; Tobi was fast asleep; leaving the rest five of them.
"I don't know. The girl is too obsessed with boys." Ifeoma frowned, chewing on the groundnuts rapidly.
"It's her life na. Live your own." Judith said.
Ifeoma turned to Judith with a frown, "What's it with you?"