Chapter 49: Nonso and Toyosi

"Kamsi, get up."
"Kamsi, get up."
Kamsi sighed, lifting her head from her locker. Nonso. He was a pest in her life, something she appreciated and dreaded. She didn't want to become too used to him in case he became Kaito's second, after all, they were best friends.
It was afternoon prep time and they were in class. One thing she loved about extension was the peace and quiet, the freedom.
"Nonso, some people are actually serious with their lives. Keep your voice down," Cynthia complained.
Nonso merely glanced at Cynthia with irritation then he stared at her expectantly. She rolled her eyes, rubbing her neck tiredly. She was feeling weird these days, beginning signs of sickness. She couldn't afford to fall sick now.
"Nonso, what?" She asked.
He already packed up the books she had been studying and carried her bag.
"Stand up," He ordered, "let's go to the refectory."
She scoffed, "Lick my foot first."
"Kamsi, puleassee," He drawled, "Biko binie, ka'anyi gawa refectory."
She rolled her eyes but followed him out.
"The refectory is much better," He told her. She said nothing.
"Where are your bag and books?" She asked, seeing he wasn't with any.
"Already there."
They got to the refectory and he led her to the box. Entering, she noticed Kaito sitting at the far back and she slowed down unconsciously but quickly picked up again, thankful Nonso didn't notice or Kaito who was watching them come to him.
"Your limp is gone," She said to Nonso.
"Ever since. You are just noticing?"
She sat on Kaito's bench but put a reasonable distance between them. Nonso raised a brow. The spot was better than sitting opposite him where she would have to make an effort not to meet his eyes.
To her surprise, Kaito moved closer so that their thighs brushed. She glanced at him, confused, and shifted away.
He stared at her. "Aren't we reading together?" He asked.
"Reading together?" She repeated, her brows high up her forehead.
"Yes, reading together," He drawled, opening her biology Waec past question.
She scoffed, "Since when?"
He moved closer again and again, she shifted away. She glanced at the edge of the bench.
"I won't stop," He spoke, flipping the pages of her booklet, "If you are interested in playing this game, I won't stop. I'll keep going after you."
And then he sat closer. She flinched at the body contact. If he noticed, he said nothing. She didn't move again. If he wanted to keep testing her, she would show him she was more than capable of winning.
Nonso adjusted on his bench until he was directly opposite them, dragging his books along with him.
"As you are going, don't leave me behind," He joked.
She stared down at her books, suddenly feeling angry. She felt cornered, deceived, and... something else she couldn't figure out. The tears were burning her eyes and the anger was stifling her nerves. She got up abruptly and staggered off.
She was just past the door to the kitchen when someone pulled her into it, into the small corner used for minor storage. She already knew who it was and so she struggled to get out of his hold.
"Kamsi, please," He begged, holding on to her tightly, "I am sorry."
She felt like a fool. For caring too much or for allowing him to get to her, she wasn't sure but she felt like a fool and she cried because of it, because somehow she was helpless towards her feelings.
"Please, I am sorry," He pleaded when her sobs persisted, "I was wrong, Kamsi, I was wrong. I'm sorry."
He pushed them to the floor so that she sat on his legs and he was cradling her like a baby.
"I am sorry," He whispered, pressing his lips to her forehead, "I am so sorry."
She let them stay that way for another minute and she wiped her tears and slowly released herself from his hold. He reluctantly let her go and she stood. She stared at the dirty walls and then the greasy floors he sat on. He would regret it later on.
"Kamsi," He called hesitantly, getting to his feet, "I..." He ran a hand through his hair nervously.
She turned and began walking away.
"Kamsi," He called again, his tone sad and desperate.
"Tochukwu, just leave me alone," Was all she said before walking out.
*
The rest of the week passed with Kaito using sly moves to get close to her and Nonso, the perfectly innocent bystander, who always found a way to get in between.
She didn't understand Kaito's behaviour. They had been very close before but he threw all that away for a break and even spent his break being close with her arch-enemy, Danielle. Yes, perhaps he didn't know about her secret feud with Danielle but surely, he knew she would be jealous if he got close to any other girl.
Maybe she understood his need for a break, she also felt overwhelmed sometimes, but she didn't approve of him cutting off from her and acting like a stranger.
She was glad no one else apart from Nonso noticed what was going in. She didn't want rumours flying around or to be topic on everyone's lips for the week. There were already enough relationship dramas going on.
One of them, to her surprise, was Nonso and Toyosi.