Chapter 14: Wait for me

Several times in the past she had cursed her hyperactive tear glands but seeing Kaito avoid her for an entire day, she decided she was going to accept it and stop complaining. She easily felt bad, she easily felt offended, and she was so fragile the littlest things brought tears to her eyes.
Kaito knew all that, why was he doing this to her?
After the last paper for the day ended, she matched up to him and blocked his path, arms folded.
"Nonso said I should give you space but I have had enough space already. Why are you avoiding me? If you have a problem with me then tell me. You don't just go on and off on someone you claim to care about."
He stared at her for a moment then suddenly grinned.
"Was that all you were thinking about during your Geography exam?" He asked, a smirk on his face.
She stared at him. This was the second time she was wondering if he was bipolar. He put his arm around her and guided her out of the hall.
"Did you eat during break?" He asked.
"You would have known if you were not avoiding me," She grumbled.
Not when she was letting go of her fears and learning to be with him would he just abandon her on the side. He said nothing until they got to her class. He took her to the side.
"I'm sorry," He said, smiling at her, "I was figuring something out."
"Figuring what out?" She asked, getting annoyed at his relaxed attitude.
"Something," He grinned, "And I wanted to see your reaction. Who knew you were going to have me on your mind all day? You did not write my name as your answers, did you?"
Times like this, she wanted to yell at him and let him know all that he meant to her so he wouldn't take it for granted then simultaneously, she wanted to smack him and return to life without him.
"This was exactly what you did the last time," She accused, letting her anger and hurt show, "But at least, you had the compassion to let me know before you switched off. Kaitochukwu, if you just mean to use me and my feelings, please have the decency to tell me first. How would you feel if I just stopped talking to you all of a sudden because I was experiencing difficulty? Do you think you are the only one that goes through stuff? I hate what you're doing."
She stomped off, leaving him dumbfounded. It was all trash, liking him in the first place was trash. He followed her but when he wanted to speak, she shut him up with a hand. If he thought she was weak and gullible in any way because she liked him then he was completely wrong.
She marched off to the refectory with Sarah. It was past 4 pm. The rest of the school population were returning to class for afternoon prep but since they just finished their exam, they were having lunch. Eba and Okro Soup with fish. She got to her table late so she couldn't request the fish's tail, the body was most times awkwardly small.
Since the table arrangement was class by class, she shared a table with Sarah and ten others. Samuel was unfortunately part of the ten others.
"Kamsi," Samuel called, a suspicious smile on his face.
"What?" She asked calmly. She had a feeling it was about the little argument she just had with Kaito.
"Don't you think it's a little too early in your relationship for you to be having fights?" He asked innocently.
She stared at his stupid-looking face. "It's none of your business, Samuel. Focus on making your face look less hideous."
Ooooohs erupted from the table.
"Nawa oo," Dozie spoke from the next table, "Kaito don dey give Kamsi mouth. Who born Kamsi well to insult before?"
"Dozie, stop. Don't insult her calmness," Cynthia said with a chuckle.
She looked at Cynthia who was on Dozie's table. She had never been close with the girl but at least, they were on good terms. Having her mock her incessantly since rumours of her relationship with Kaito began to spread was extremely annoying and hurting.
"Shey Labour prefect don fuck you already?" Samuel taunted, obviously offended by her insult.
She winced. How did people use those words without batting an eyelid? She was determined not to be outdone though.
"I now know why you two are friends," She sneered at him and Dozie, "Dumb set of people."
"Kamsi, abi what is your name, watch yourself," Dozie warned, his voice dropping a dangerous notch, "I no go care, I go useless you if I catch you."
Fear chilled her veins but she shook it off. She eyed him and hissed. The tears were stinging her eyes. She finished up her Eba and left abruptly, not bothering to wait for Sarah.
*
She was sitting on her bed, distractedly going through her English note when Bisola walked up to her.
"Tochukwu," Bisola announced, handing her a phone. When she hesitated to take it, Bisola added, "He said please."
She took the phone. "Hello," She said stiffly. Bisola went away. She was grateful for the privacy.
"Kamsi," His clear cool voice came through the line, "I am sorry. Can we talk, please? Now?"
She rubbed a tired hand down her face. A little trigger and she would burst into tears.
"I don't feel like leaving the block," She answered.
"Oh..." His disappointment was not lost, "Okay, alright. You'll come out for dinner, right? Can we talk before that?"
"What do you want to talk about?"
He was quiet. "I failed you," He finally said, his voice barely audible, "I was caught up in my head and I failed you. Kamsi, I'll understand if you decide never to trust me with your feelings again but I don't want you to. Kamsi, I know I am still a small boy and I am very indecisive and unsure and I don't have much to offer you but please..." His voice trembled, "I promise I'll..."
"I'm coming out, wait for me," She interrupted and cut the call.