Chapter 17: Women's support group

The Chemistry paper was the worst she had that week. And she read, a lot! She forced herself not to cry. She wouldn't have felt so bad if she didn't have high hopes of getting at least five As in Waec. She wanted a spectacular result so her admission would be swift.
Some of the prefects were called by a teacher, Kaito and Nonso were among them. The rest of her friends were occupied with other people and she wasn't feeling so happy to join them so she walked to class alone.
Getting to class, she met Dozie, Samuel, Onyebuchi, and a handful of other boys right outside her class. She immediately felt on edge. Ever since she insulted them at the dining, she felt tense whenever she was around them.
Samuel saw her first and his mouth stretched into a sly smile. He whispered something to Dozie and Dozie looked in her direction, the rest followed and she was suddenly walking like a zombie.
"Kamsiyonna," Onyebuchi greeted warmly when she got to them, "how far? How was your chemistry paper?"
She forced a smile, "It was good, thank you. Please, excuse me."
"Brainy," Another boy hailed. One of the rugged boys she didn't like.
"Excuse her," Onyebuchi said and the path was cleared for her. She didn't like the smile on Onyebuchi's face, nor the sly look on Samuel's face nor the hard look Dozie gave her nor the whisperings going on among the other boys.
She passed in quickly and went to sit in a corner where they couldn't get a view of her.
"How was your paper?" A classmate asked.
"It was fine." She forced another smile.
Gratefully, Kehinde B entered just then.
"Kamsi, my baby," Kehinde cooed, sitting next to her.
She relaxed. "Longest time, how have you been?"
"I'm fine oo. I heard you and Toyosi came to see me the other day and that Toyosi wanted to cause trouble."
She laughed. "We were just concerned. You have been distant."
"Yeah, I know," Kehinde sighed, "It's not like I'm avoiding you guys or I forgot you but Taiwo is my boyfriend and... I'm sure you understand, I always want to be with him or around him."
She shrugged. Hard to admit but it was true.
"It's easier for you since Kaito is part of the group but Taiwo isn't. We do read together, you know, he tutors me. I know people will want to make it seem like I'm the unserious one."
"Yeah," She smiled, "Don't worry. It's cool."
"Which cool?" Kehinde nudged her, wiggling her brows, "Just say that you miss me, eh. If you tell me that you miss me, I'll consider dumping Taiwo."
She chuckled. "You're not serious. How was your literature paper?"
Kehinde perked up. "It was mad, mehn. If you see the questions they set, many people were complaining. I know I tried my best so I'm not even bothered."
"Taiwo, nko?" She asked with a smile.
"That one is literature himself," Kehinde said proudly, "He said it was a piece of cake. My guy."
She felt moved to mention to Kehinde what she just felt about Samuel and Dozie but she held back. She wasn't sure. She didn't want to raise alarm and cause a scandal.
"How was yours?" Kehinde returned the favour, raising her legs on a bag of books.
"It was fine oo, same problem," She answered, "I know I tried my best too, so I'll just leave the rest to God."
"As in."
"After all my reading," She complained, "If you see the way I carried Chemistry on my head like twelve all-back. I only slept three hours last night."
Kehinde laughed, "You are the one that likes killing yourself. Right now, I just want to cuddle and have a long sleep then bath and fill my stomach with junk then sleep again then maybe I'll consider reading."
One word stood out for her. "Cuddle?"
Kehinde smiled childishly. "With Taiwo. You don't know that I sneak into the boys' hostel sometimes. He has the warmest hug ever."
She rolled her eyes.
"Don't get jealous," Kehinde said with a laugh, "At least, you have Kaito. Are you guys still pretending that you don't like each other?"
"We were never pretending."
"Oh really? Why are you both denying that you are dating when the whole school always sees you two together?"
"That was before, we weren't dating then," She answered and looked towards the entrance. Samuel and co were gone. "We are dating now."
Kehinde let out a shout of joy. "Finally! Give me a hug, latest girlfriend in town!"
She giggled as they hugged. It was still unbelievable.
"Finally," Kehinde sighed happily, "Now I have someone to discuss relationship dramas with."
"I'm not forming a women's support group with you." She replied shaking her head in amusement.
"We will form oo," Kehinde countered, "I've been looking for a trusted paddy to talk with since. Oya, gist me na," Kehinde's voice dropped to a playful whisper, "How did he ask? Have you guys kissed yet? Has he... you know..."
"I'm not talking about this with you," She cut in, turning away.
"Come on," Kehinde whined, "At least, tell me how your first kiss was like. Mine was slurpy, with one guy like that; that was in junior school. Can you believe I was Taiwo's first kiss? Our first kiss was bad, he didn't know how to kiss then but now, he has gone far. I taught him well. Tell me yours."
"No."
"But you've kissed?"
"No."
"Should I give you kissing lessons? Start slow then..."
"Kehinde, I said no, hey!" She covered her ears, shaking her head wildly.
Kehinde snorted, "Keep pretending. You'll be the one to meet me for advice later on. Anyway, is virginity still so important?"
She looked sharply at her friend. "Of course, why are you asking?"
Kehinde made a non-committal sound. "Nothing much."
"Tell me the nothing much," She insisted.
Kehinde looked around and shifted closer. "I just feel like doing it, you know," She admitted lowly, "We kiss a lot alright and before it used to be enough oo but now, I want more and he wants more too. Sometimes, when we are kissing, he'll already be unbuttoning my shirt and I'll have to stop him. He's going abroad after school, immediately after graduation. I don't know when I'll see him again. I... I just want to take all I can from him and give him my all because I know he'll forget me when he gets there." Kehinde looked very sad.