Chapter 7: Secrets

"I should wait for him," She said absentmindedly, "We have plans to go somewhere and read. Are you joining us?"
"Yup, but you don't need to wait for him. He can come to meet you in the refectory."
"We..."
"Be scarce," Toyosi insisted, "It's not good for you to always be available for a guy, they'll take you for granted."
She glanced back at Kaito's class.
"Girl, come jere," Toyosi pulled her off, "I'll be your guard so Tochukwu does not see you finish."
"Why are we even going to the refectory sef?" She questioned, stopping in her tracks, "It's Eba and that watery Egusi soup we're eating."
"That's true," Toyosi said and clicked her tongue.
"Kamsiyonna!" Nonso jogged to meet them. Kehinde B was right behind him.
"Wassup?" She shook hands with him.
"Where's Tochukwu?" He asked.
"I don't know," She shrugged, "He should be in his class." Nonso's eyes narrowed.
"Nonso, you did not see me, abi? I'm invisible," Toyo interrupted.
Nonso forced a smile. "Sorry, I was in a haste. Wassup?" They shook hands stiffly, Toyosi smirking lightly.
Nonso returned to her. "So you are going to the refectory without your boyfriend. Kamsi, why?"
"I'll slap you oo," She eyed him, "Stop spreading false rumours."
Nonso dragged her off, throwing a "She'll meet you guys later" to Toyosi and Kehinde.
"What were you and Tochukwu doing yesterday night? Is the gist true?" He asked as they walked to Kaito's class.
"No oo," She answered, "Just lies. We hugged though. That's intimate, I guess but it might have looked like we were kissing. The place was dark."
He said nothing until they were about to enter Kaito's class.
"I understand you two would want some privacy once in a while," he said, "but don't let it be like that. It's easy for people to assume anything and if a teacher catches you, it will be even worse and it will tell badly more on you than him. You grab?"
She nodded, feeling a pang of fear.
"Relax," He chuckled, tugging at her cheek, "Kaitochukwu won't intentionally put you guys in trouble. He's a big boy."
"We are not dating," She huffed and pushed him into the class.
Kaito was busy sorting out papers with Danielle, his seatmate. He looked up once they got to his seat.
"Hey," He greeted, smiling at her.
"Look at me," Nonso jumped in front of her, "I am the one you should look at."
"Abeg, move jere," She pushed him off.
"You look busy," She said to Kaito and shot Danielle a smile.
"Yeah," He sighed, cracking his knuckles, "some stuff the labour master asked us to do."
"Tochukwu, my own is piling for you. You are ignoring me," Nonso complained.
"Sorry," Kaito laughed and shook his bro's hand, "jealousy doesn't look good on you."
"It's not jealousy," Nonso rolled his eyes, "don't let me take back my blessings on you two. Dani, wassup?"
Danielle rose and they hugged. She still didn't understand why hugging was an important part of greeting for teenagers. Wasn't a handshake enough?
"You guys can help us," Danielle said, sitting, "we have to arrange them, class by class. We have been on this since the seventh period."
"No problem," She said. The stack of papers was quite overwhelming.
Kaito rose. "You can take my seat," He said to her.
It was hard not to blush.
"Thank you," She smiled at him and took his seat.
Nonso turned to the girl sitting in front of Kaito.
"Alfreda," He called, "Are you not going to eat?"
Alfreda was stuffing books in her bag. "No," Alfreda answered.
"I want your seat."
Alfreda glared at him. "Ode, you cannot just add simple please. Tochukwu, you can stay in my seat when I leave. Nonso's buttock must not touch it."
She laughed lightly. Alfreda left and they watched, Kaito included, as Nonso hopped unto the seat.
"Bestie, look for another seat," Nonso said simply.
"Nonso!" Alfreda shouted from the entrance.
"Go and eat," Nonso waved her off.
She stared at Kaito with a smile. He was always helpless when it came to his best friend.
Alfreda's seatmate was sleeping, the people sitting at his side were gisting and didn't look like they were going to leave anytime soon.
"Let's share," She said to him.
"You won't be comfortable," He dismissed her.
"That's why I said we should share, we'll be uncomfortable together."
"Oh God," Nonso facepalmed, Kaito grinned, Danielle was laughing and she was blushing heavily. The words just slipped out of her mouth.
"Okay," Kaito bit his lip with a smile.
They shared the seat and even after his corner mates left and there were free seats, he didn't leave.
They sectioned the papers and managed to finish just when others were returning from the hostel.
"If we go to Mr. Peter's office, we can get good food to eat," Danielle told them.
So after storing the papers, they left for Mr. Peter's office. Mr. Peter was the bursar. She had never met him personally in the past and she imagined him to be strict and scary but he turned out to surprisingly be a jolly fellow. He ordered a plate of Jollof rice and beef and a bottle of coke for each of them from the canteen.
"It's good to have connections in this life," Nonso sighed satisfactorily when they stepped out then he belched.
"Ew," She and Danielle said together and Danielle slapped his arm.
"Sorry," He said and belched again.
"Where are you going?" He asked Danielle when she bade them bye in front of her class.
Danielle's brows went high up her forehead. "Do I now owe you my whereabouts?"
"Pele," Nonso said and looked away, "It's the food. I grow attached to anybody that gives me free food."
"Be serious in your life," Danielle laughed and went away.
"That was weird," Kaito commented.
"It's the food," Nonso repeated.
"We need to read, where should we go? The classes will be noisy," Kaito said.
"The field?" She suggested.
"Uncomfortable," Nonso frowned.
"The refectory then," Kaito looked at her then at Nonso, "that's okay?"
"Since when did you start asking?" She shot him an amused look.
Kaito left to get their bags from his class.
"What is wrong with you?" She asked Nonso. He seemed to be in deep thought and he kept looking in the direction Danielle went.
"Is there anything wrong with kissing?" He asked.
She blinked, taken aback.
"Uh....," She glanced at Kaito's class, "No?"
"I feel like kissing," He told her, shrugging.
"Your puppy at home?"
He looked at her and began to laugh. He didn't have a puppy at home.
"I'm joking," She rolled her eyes, "Why do you feel like kissing?"
"Boy hormones, I'm growing," He answered, "I know it's normal and all, my mum said so too but she said I shouldn't, she said it will make me want to do more."
"I guess that's true," She said, dipping her hands in her pocket. She was a tad uncomfortable.
"Who do you feel like kissing?"
He looked at her. "How do you know there's someone on my mind?"
"Because these things are triggered," She replied, "You won't feel like kissing unless there's someone you want to kiss."
"Danielle," He answered, "Tochukwu is coming. Don't tell him I said anything."
She nodded but a minute later, she wondered if she should have agreed so quickly to help him keep things from his best friend.