Chapter 10: Who Kamsi epp?

Nonso whistled his way into Kumari's SS3 room. It was still dark and everywhere was eerily quiet, only the sounds of snoring teenage males could be heard. He didn't know why he was in a good mood and it was even more strange because they were beginning their Waec exams that day.
"Nonso Udoka, are you mad?" A sleepy voice barked.
It was just about 4 am. He chuckled to himself. He was just so charming that someone could recognize his whistle even in deep sleep. He whistled his way to Tochukwu's corner.
"Nonso, it's too early for your games. Shut your trap."
"Beg me," He said and whistled even louder. He narrowly dodged a pillow.
"Nonso, abeg, abeg," Another sleepy pleaded and he conceded.
His best friend was still fast asleep. Ordinarily, he would be the first to wake up to his antics.
"Tochukwu, wake up, let's go and have our bath," He said lowly, opening his locker. He took out his toiletries and shut it.
"Tochukwu," He called again when he got no reply.
He rolled his eyes and made to slap him awake but stopped himself in time. It wasn't nice to slap a person up from sleep. He tapped him, just once and withdrew his hand in shock. Guy was burning hot.
"Tochukwu," He shook him awake, worry infiltrating his formerly calm mind. Who falls sick on the first day of Waec!?
"Tochukwu," He called more loudly when he still didn't wake and Kaito sat up abruptly and suddenly jumped down from his top bunk.
"Let's go, let's go," Kaito said hastily, randomly touching things, "I have to read and make my rounds before breakfast, I have to read. Let's go, let's go."
Nonso stared at his best friend with wide eyes.
"Let's go to where?" He finally spoke when Kaito took out his towel, "It's just 4 am."
Kaito paused in his frenzied movements. "What?" He mumbled.
"It's just 4 am," he repeated, "we still have time. I just wanted us to bathe on time."
Kaito stood still for a moment then hissed. "Wake me up when it's 5," He said and climbed back up and the next second, he was fast asleep.
He stared at him for a long time and shook his head, and instead of going to bathe as he planned, he replaced the toiletries and relocated to the floor to read until 5 am.
5:11 am, he woke Tochukwu up.
"I told you 5 am," Kaito complained when he jumped off his bed, "I am late already."
They left to bathe and after dressing up, he waited while Tochukwu monitored his Shadow as he made his rounds around the hostel to ensure it was tidy and the house prefects' Shadows were doing their duties.
It was exam period, all the prefects were supposed to have stopped working. He didn't understand why Tochukwu loved working so much.
But after he was done and they arrived at class, he stopped Tochukwu's frenzied state.
"You are sick," He said when Kaito made to open his Physics jotter.
"Just exam fever," Kaito waved it off.
"You know you are not supposed to be doing anything, Bode can handle it. Leave him and stop stressing yourself."
"V.P. wants me to be checking in on them," Kaito said and sighed, "Man, I am tired."
It was just around 6:30. The classes were scanty.
"She won't know if you don't go," He reasoned, "Bode reports to you, doesn't he?"
Kaito leaned back in his seat and began to massage his temple. "Do you still have Vitamin C?" He asked, "I already finished mine."
"I didn't bring it with me."
"What?" Kaito asked when he kept looking at him.
"You what?" He shot back, "What is up with you? And don't lie, it's obvious you are not just sick."
"I am not sick, it's exam fever," Kaito repeated.
"Okay, fine. What is up with you?"
Kaito glanced at him. "I no tell you say popcy almost hit bottle for my head when I told him my jamb score."
Nonso gaped at him. "You say? I thought he... guy, your score was good, I didn't even get up to 240..."
"I know," Kaito cut in abruptly, "But I was thinking I will get up to 260, that is what he was expecting."
They both fell silent.
Kaito sighed, "The pressure dey too much for my head and he said I must enter school this year."
Nonso scoffed then hissed loudly.
"Tochukwu, you have to go and stay with Aunt Felicity," He said, shaking his head, "I thought he has calmed down with you."
Kaito said nothing.
"If you are far away, he can't pressure you too much," He explained calmly, "And Aunt Felicity won't even let him. Guy, you gats go abroad."
When he still didn't say anything, he continued, "But I hope you don't hate him, sha. Your old man actually cares about you, he's just too hard on you."
"I can stay," Kaito spoke, sitting up, "I won't be staying at home so..."
"Which stay?" He cut him off sharply, "Guy, he's forcing you to study Civil Engineering and you sef, you cannot counter him because you don't even know what you want. Shebi, it's almost you said, what about when he actually breaks a bottle on your head? Go abroad, go and stay with Aunt Felicity. At least, there you'll have time to think and make your own decisions."
Kaito mumbled something incoherent.
"What?" He questioned, glaring at him.
"Kamsi is schooling in Nigeria."
Nonso hissed, "Who Kamsi epp?"