BOOK 2

Chapter 1

"You did me bad, Kamsi," he said with a smirk, "you took me by storm and I am not going to let you throw me away. I'll make you bend, I'll make you fall, I'll make you mine."
*
"Kamsi!"
"Why do you like shouting so much, eh?" Kamsi grumbled. She just flew down the staircase thinking her elder sister, Ketandu, was calling her for something serious, only to find her sitting on a keg at the compound tap, head bent over her phone.
"Come and carry this bucket upstairs. Bring the second big keg."
"If you know you don't want to fetch water, kukuma say so," Kamsi grumbled, lifting the bucket of water, "I've been the one carrying all the buckets and you know that I am busy with cleaning the house."
Ketandu eyed her, "Talk louder, let me hear you."
Kamso huffed and went away.
Normally, Saturday mornings weren't so hectic when Ketandu was away at school. Yes, she did house chores and cleaned the entire three-bedroom flat with the help of her parents but it didn't take so much time. Now, Ketandu was home and she insisted on overturning the house and cleaning every inch and crevice. Ketandu was tiring.
Dad was away at work and Mum had gone out to get foodstuff for the weekend so it was just two of them.
She returned downstairs with the bucket and the keg Ketandu asked her to bring then went back upstairs to continue cleaning the rooms.
Five minutes later...
"Kamsi!"
"Oh God!," She shouted, throwing the broom at the wall. Flakes of peeing paint fell to the ground.
"Why are you doing this now!? Why can't you carry the water up yourself!?" She screamed when she was downstairs. Ketandu stared at her for a long time that she began to feel foolish then Ketandu began to laugh.
"Look at your face," Ketandu said between laughs and mimicked, "Why are you doing this now? Why can't you carry the water up yourself?"
She fumed silently.
"Since when did you learn how to speak good English?" Ketandu laughed. When she said nothing, Ketandu rolled her eyes and said, "You know I've missed you. At school, I don't have anybody to be shouting at and sending on errands. It's out of love, will you blame me?"
Kamsi shook her head with a helpless sigh, all the anger draining out of her.
"This is the last one I'm carrying. When do you want me to finish with the inside if you keep calling me?" She said halfheartedly.
Ketandu smiled evilly, "I knew you can't refuse me. I'll soon join you inside."
She was almost at the stairs when Ketandu shouted, "And I want to hear all about the boy who paid for your JAMB!"
*
"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday, happy birthday, happy birthday to you."
Ketandu popped one eye open then the next.
"Happy birthday!" Kamsi whooped, shaking her awake.
"What's all this one?" Ketandu hissed but she was smiling widely.
Kamsi scoffed, "Get up, jere. You think it's every day you wake up to someone singing you a birthday song, your sister for that matter."
Ketandu laughed and sat up on the bed. It was still quite early in the morning, a Sunday morning and it was Ketandu Anunobi's 20th birthday.
"Thanks, my baby boo," Ketandu said, pinching her cheek.
Kamsi got off the bed. "Mum and Dad went for the 6 am Mass, we'll go for 7:30. Let's pray first though."
Ketandu nodded and made to reach for her phone on the dresser.
"Nope," She stopped her, "nothing comes before prayer. Let's go."
Ketandu rolled her eyes but listened.
A few hours later, the Anunobi family house was alive with festivity. A few relatives and friends had dropped by to spend the day with them, it was even more perfect as it was a Sunday and they could all relax from the stress of the week.
"Kamsiyochukwu, come and take this dish to the table!"
Kamsi hurried to the kitchen and did as told. She had been on her feet since they returned from Church, all she wanted to do now was relax with a big plate of the jollof and fried rice they cooked, a big drumstick, and a glass of the non-alcoholic wine her father bought.
An hour later, she was able to do as she wished. After sharing a meal with everyone at the dining, she relocated to the bedroom.
Reason? She wanted to talk to Kaito.
She huffed in frustration when the automated voice told her for the fourth time that Kaito's phone was switched off.
"Calling your rich boyfriend?"
Her head snapped to the door. There was her tall chocolatey skinned sister dressed in her violet birthday dress. Sometimes, when she looked at her sister, she saw a goddess.
"I don't have a boyfriend," she answered and looked away.
"Who are you calling then?"
"A friend."
"A male?"
"Does it matter if it is a male or female? He's my friend."
Ketandu laughed out loud just as she realized her mistake.
"Look at my baby sister, she's growing up oo," Ketandu said, still laughing.
She hissed. Kaito was supposed to have called her. He told her he'd call by 10 am when they would both be back from Church. It was past 1 pm.
"He's not picking up your calls, abi? Who sent you to trust these devious males, hmmm?"
She rolled her eyes, "mind your business."
Who didn't know that Ketandu had a strong dislike for men? Except for their father, maybe. Ketandu was now in front of her.
"He's probably going out with some other girl," Ketandu mused and she pressed a finger to her forehead.
"He'll tell you he's broke but he's probably spending all his cash on her."
She buried her face in her hands.
"Who knows if he is still pure?"
She raised her head at the last statement. "Ketandu, biko, take your wahala somewhere else. Aren't you supposed to be celebrating your birthday?"
She moved to the other end of the bed and Ketandu followed and sat next to her.
"Oh God," she groaned.
"What's his name?"
"None of your business."
"Tochukwu. I heard Dad say it."
"Then why did you ask?"
"What's his surname? Surnames tell a lot about people and I want to know that of your boyfriend."
"He's not my boyfriend."
"Come on," Ketandu rolled her eyes, "let's have a sisterly talk. Our parents already know about the two of up dating and they didn't judge you. Why would I?"
"My goodness!" She exclaimed, "We are not dating! For the hundredth time!"
"But you like him."
She facepalmed.
"I'm surprised our parents didn't say anything, it's unlike them. They showed me shege in my time. It's probably because he's from a rich home and his parents are welcoming. Dad said he's well-behaved though and a bit shy."
She snorted. Kaito, shy? Impossible.
"Just talk to me, biko. What's his name? What's he like? Why was he worthy to evoke your feelings?"
She laughed heartily. "You are a drama queen," she said to her sister.