22: Say my name

It was the last day of the heat and time for the last race; the 3000m race; the athletes were to go round the tracks seven times. Taiwo and two Gangi Ss2 students were representing their house since each house was allowed three athletes.
In the afternoon of the first day, shotput and javelin competitions took place in which Gangi won one gold and one silver. The second day, she won gold in the 1200m senior girls race and bronze for the 800m race. She got her gold after all and she beat Danielle who represented her house in the 1200m race and came third; she felt proud. Danielle had congratulated her but she wondered why. They were not friends or even close to friends.
In the afternoon, long and high jumps were done and they won one gold and two silvers courtesy of Ejiro, Chiamaka and a junior student. Now today, the last day, they hadn't won any races and she also didn't partake in any activity, it was her day of rest. She really hoped they could win a gold. Taiwo was a good endurance runner.
"Taiwo, good luck!" She shouted to Taiwo ftom her house's stand, Kaito by her side. He nodded, stretching in his toes. Kehinde B was telling him something and he was smiling. Sometimes she wished she also had someone like that, a relationship like theirs.
"You," She turned to Kaito who was leaning on a stand and feeding his eyes on the scenery.
"What?" He asked with impatience. He hadn't been in a good mood since she first saw him and he refused to reveal why.
"What sports do you partake in?" She asked, hands on hips, "and don't tell me football, every boy knows how to play football."
He cracked a smile that soon faded, "not every boy. I play basketball and tennis but I've not played tennis in a long time since we don't play it here, only when I'm home."
"You play basketball?" She rubbed her chin, glancing at the race that just began, "I've not seen you with the other guys."
They had a basketball court close to the stadium but the game was not part of the competitions for interhouse sports though the school had a basketball team.
"I only play on weekends when I'm in the mood and besides, it's not as if you watch the games or you're even interested," He accused harshly.
She shrugged, "I've not really noticed you guys since the basketball court is basically hidden and well... I've not noticed."
"I'm sorry I was harsh, I didn't mean to be." He blew out a tensed breath, dragging his palm down his face.
"Are you still bothered about what happened at the party?" She queried with interest.
"Why are you asking?"
She glared at him. He loved evading.
"You've been somehow since that time... not you," She explained. He glanced at her, shrugging after.
"Look..." She said, "I've forgiven you and I don't want you to be uptight around me because of it or apologizing for every mistake you make or being too careful so you won't slip up again. It was a mistake, you just did it and I know you don't regret doing it..."
He opened his mouth sharply to speak but she cut him off.
"I know you don't regret doing it," She repeated, "but you regret that it made me very angry and you're trying to be careful so you don't do such again because you're too comfortable around me and it's sweet and nice of you but it's fine, be your normal self... just know your limits."
His face was hard, bereft of emotions when she finished speaking.
"What do you know about me?" He asked. His eyes were on her and they stood there, right in front of her house designated stand, staring at each other amidst the noise and cheers of the boisterous crowd.
"You're disciplined, you're picky when it comes to the friends you keep, you don't just roll with anyone. You're troublesome, you're serious minded, nice and thoughtful, domineering and strict sometimes and you're you... Kaitochukwu."
He blinked, surprise crossing his features.
"Say it again." He ordered in a cracked voice.
"Say what again?" She watched him curiously. His hands were shaking which he tried to hide behind his sports short and he seemed like he was fighting with himself.
"My name," he whispered.
"Your name?"
"I've never heard you say it."
She blinked, confused. Was that true? She thought hard and then realized it was. She had never uttered his name when with him, it was only with somebody else if he came up in discussion.
"Kaitochukwu," She gave in with a smile, "Kaitochukwu."
His face was still stoic and she sighed, pulling his cheeks.
"Please smile and stop looking at me like a zombie." His lips twitched and he stood straight, looking away from her.
"Kai Kai," She cooed and he burst out laughing.
"Never call me that," he laughed.
"Kai Kai," she cooed again.
"You're right," He replied with a smile, "I don't regret it."
"You sly animal," she slapped his arm before turning to watch the race.
He didn't let her be throughout the race ,demanding she call his name continuously. She heeded, seeing nothing better to do and at least, now he was in a good mood, the source of his moodiness forgotten. When the race ended with Taiwo in the lead, she joined the crowd that hailed Taiwo and she could have sworn she saw Kehinde B give him a quick peck on the lips.
After the students began to disperse and she joined Tobi and Ejiro in making sure that the house mistress didn't have any extra bubble gum and glucose to go home with, she left with Kaito, stumbling on the way, making him hold her hand and they held hands tightly all the way to class and then to the refectory.