23: A romance that kills

The next day, she walked into his class to return the novel he lent her the previous day. The novel was nice and interesting, at least that was what she could tell from the first chapter of the book but then she was prompted to read the ending and she found out it had a bad ending. The female lead died, leaving the male lead lonely and heartbroken. She detested endings like that, she detested endings that didn't go her way. There was already a lot of bad stuff happening in the real world and fiction was supposed to be an escape from it but writers still loved writing bad stuff too in fiction so there was no escape from harsh reality.
His head was bent on his locker. She tapped him lightly and he raised his head causing her to notice the Rosary he held in his right hand. He was praying.
Her eyes widened, "Should I leave? You're..." She made to go but he stopped her, signaling her to wait a little. He placed his head back on his locker then two minutes later, he raised it, making a sign of the Cross.
"What?" He asked, putting the Rosary in his shirt pocket.
"You pray your Rosary," She blurted out.
He raised a brow, "you're surprised."
She shrugged, "You don't just seem the type."
He smiled, "don't judge a book by its cover."
"I'm already reading the book," She said with a chuckle.
"And?" He prompted.
She smirked, "the results are left for me to know and you to wonder." He laughed lightly, shaking his head.
"Not like you can't be prayerful," She corrected, placing the novel on his locker, "there's no type for prayer. I don't know how to get my point across. I was just surprised."
He nodded, his gaze dropping to the novel, "You're done so soon?" He asked with surprise, "did you stay up all night?"
She straightened, putting on a serious look. "Kaitochukwu..." She paused, seeing him grin, "your name isn't so special, get out of your head," She rolled her eyes, "one thing you should know when giving me novels is that they must never have bad endings, no main character must die and for romance novels, the main characters must end up together."
He laughed, "sorry. I just gave it to you, I didn't know it was this one."
"Why would anyone read books with bad endings anyway? Especially the ones where the main character dies. I always cry after and I feel depressed for days."
"Oh... are you depressed now?"
"I'm trying not to be, that ending scene just keeps playing over and over again in my head and I'm imagining all the what-ifs and whatnots. It's not that bad anyway since I didn't get to meet the characters properly, other times I feel like ending my life," she grimaced.
His eyes popped out, "you're kidding."
She laughed, "I'm not suicidal or anything nor do I have suicidal thoughts. Those times are just... bad."
His eyes still wide, he quickly picked up the book and threw it in his locker, "I'm sorry, I didn't know."
"Exactly why you shouldn't be apologizing. I'm fi..." She looked down to see who brushed her arm. It was Kaito's H&F.
"Good afternoon, seniors," he greeted nervously. She smiled at him while Kaito looked on with a face that was suddenly expressionless. The boy dropped a polythene bag on Kaito's locker and then stood stiff with his hands behind his back.
"Go," was all Kaito said and the boy hurried off. Kaito didn't look at her and she chose not to say a word. It was obvious he was still strict and unyielding with the boy though she wasn't sure if it was as bad as the last time they argued over it.
"It's food. You can take one," He offered plainly.
"Food?"
He brought out three takeaways from the bag, the delicious smell of well-prepared jollof rice wafting into her nostrils.
"I'm fine," She declined, despite herself. She wanted to ask him why he sent the boy on such a risky errand. Any teacher could have caught him and that would have been big trouble. Food was not sold in the school except in the school's canteen which was strictly for staff but this food wasn't from the canteen. It was too nice smelling to be. She had been seeing a lot of their mates with the takeaways, it was a 'flexible' teacher or nonacademic staff that got the food for them beyond the walls. Sending the junior boy to get it for him was too risky, for the junior and him. He was too careless with such things, perhaps because he was a prefect and he found favour with the teachers, or perhaps it was just his behaviour.
"One's for you," he insisted, "I bought one for you."
"And the other?" she couldn't help but ask despite her growing anger.
"Nonso."
"I'm fine," she declined again. There was anger simmering in her blood and she tried to let it not leak, "you can bring a better novel for me, thanks anyway." she said and turned to leave.
"The food is for you," He repeated.
"And I said I'm fine," she snapped before leaving.
He didn't let it go. She met the takeaway on her bed when she got to the blocks and the next morning, he invited her to join him in praying the Rosary to which she accepted and it became a custom that every morning, before breakfast, they meet at the lion statue and say the Rosary at its feet, facing the rising sun, the unanswered questions and forgotten hurt hanging over them.

"You people should tell Danielle to stop disturbing me oo," Kaito chuckled uncomfortably as he walked towards where they lounged, the prefect box, Danielle clutching his right arm. The they being she, Daniel, Nonso, Michael, Toyosi, and surprisingly, Kehinde B (she was missing out a lot in their group time)
It was the day before the inter-house sports, the day before the beginning of their four-day midterm break. Due to the inter-house sports, the day was free of school work. It was quite early in the afternoon and most students, especially the girls were preparing for the big day. Girls who weren't on low cut were making their hair in easy styles either the high or low bun, big cornrows, or ponytails, all with attachments they brought from home or bought with the help of day students or flexible teachers; some even wore wigs. Kehinde B, the only girl in the group who wasn't on a low cut had made hers already. She made a braided high ponytail that reached her buttocks, what was left was to add the finishing touches which Kehinde said she would do early the next day.
"Nonso, ejò, help me beg this your coconut head of a best friend," Danielle pouted when they entered the prefect box.
"Who told you we are best friends?" Kaito and Nonso inquired at the same time.
"Everyone knows," Danielle waved them off.
"Me, I cannot be best friends with this chameleon," Nonso glared at Kaito playfully which Kaito returned.
"I thought it was only girls that played the denial card," Danielle snickered.
"Leave them. Let them keep pretending," Daniel spoke up, raising his head to get his point across then immediately focusing back on whatever he and Michael were watching on a phone.
"Whatever," Danielle let go of Kaito's arm, straightening her short purple house wear. Danielle was beautiful; from her long relaxed hair to her small feet clad in expensive-looking black trekkers; she was graceful and elegant, and her presence demanded respect and admiration.
"What are you begging him for?" Nonso queried from her right as Kaito sat on her left, his leg making contact with hers.
"He said he's not dressing up as king tomorrow," Danielle pouted.
"You're not?" She, Nonso, and Toyosi asked together.
"Why would I showcase all this heavenly handsomeness under the hot sun in front of those clumsy Kumari marchers and walking like a disgraced high fool?" Kaito replied all at once.
"Calm down with the insults," Michael laughed.
"You know you're indirectly calling me a fool," Danielle glared at him. He shrugged carelessly.
"And who dash you heavenly handsomeness? You this hippopotamus," Nonso sneered.
"Look before you leap," was all Kaito said before Nonso engaged him in a headlock with her having to bend to avoid getting hit.
"Watch my head oo," she laughed as they struggled, huffing and grunting.
"Boys," Danielle drawled, pulling at Kaito's shirt. They finally separated, giving each other hard jabs. She sat up, feeling relieved.
"Parri now," Danielle pleaded, half sitting on the table (parri was slang for partners).
"Smith, I've told you no, hapu'm aka," Kaito sighed.
"Kamsi is not doing too," Kehinde B informed them. He looked at her in surprise.
"You're not?" He and Danielle asked at the same time.
"Nope. Actually, I and CJ are not," she answered.
"I should have known," He muttered, turning to Danielle, "See, I have partners in crime. Look for another handsome boy to take my place."
"I want you na, we are partners for life," Danielle whined.