26: The Heart's Choice

"I didn't think I was that bad," Kaito said to her when they got to her class. It was just minutes after the M.O.T; Nonso, Michael, and Daniel had gone back to the boys' hostel, Kehinde B and Toyosi to the girls' hostel. Without speaking, she and Kaito headed to her class. They both knew they had rotten tomatoes to dispose.
"I don't grab (slang for understand)," Kamsi replied him. She was sitting on Daniel's seat, facing him while he was on her seat, facing her.
"Demanding, controlling, bossy, snubbish..." he spoke quietly and there was a sad look in his eyes.
"She said it wasn't bad," she consoled but he didn't budge, "and I don't see you as snubbish."
"But you see me as demanding, controlling, and bossy."
"Everyone has their bad attributes, no one is perfect. As far as you're open to correction, you're fine. You're demanding, yes, you're bossy, yes but not in an overbearing manner."
"I was wrong when I called you controlling," he muttered.
"When?"
He gave her a look, "don't pretend you can't remember. I was mad that you were interfering boldly in my life and pushing me out of my comfort zone and I wanted badly to push you away, push you back. I've been meaning to apologize but as Toyosi said, pride."
"I can be controlling, I know that."
"Not controlling, demanding, and in a good way, I like it," he corrected, giving her a small smile. They remained quiet for a few seconds before she spoke up.
"It's not bad. It's part of what makes you, you. You like pushing, and testing people's limits and it's okay if you control it. Your bossiness is mild. Controlling is harsh because you don't control people, you just set your standards high and expect people to reach it which I feel is a good thing."
"What do you not like about me? What issues do you want to settle with me?" he questioned and she looked away.
"Kamsi..." he called in a warning. She shrugged, looking back at him.
"What happened last Tuesday? Why were you angry? Why did you walk out?" He persisted. He was referring to the food takeaway incident.
"You know."
"I want you to say it."
"I don't like how you treat your h&f," she blurted out, "I don't like that you send him on risky errands that could put you and him in serious trouble. I don't like that you make him cry."
His lips tugged up in a smile, "it wasn't that hard." he said and she stared blankly at him.
"and I'm sorry," he continued, "I'm trying to change, really I am. I can't help being strict with him."
"Yes you can, you're in charge of your attitude. You can help being harsh with him."
He sighed, massaging his temple, "okay. I'll try to stop and I know it doesn't make up for it but I will change and be nicer to him and I promise not to make him cry."
"Don't make promises."
"Why?"
"They're meant to be broken."
His face fell, "you're so sure I'm going to break it?"
"No. I'm sure you'll keep your word but then mistakes are made."
"I'll try my best not to make him cry," he corrected.
"Better." She smiled
"You're not still mad about the... you know... Valentine stuff. You know Toyosi said I'm used to getting what I want and I....."
"Tochukwu." She interrupted, "I've forgiven you and I'm not angry and I don't think I have anything else to complain about so my turn, what don't you like about me?" She put on a brave face but she was nervous inside and scared that she would cry in front of him.
"What about you?" He teased. She gave him a look.
"You're my friend, my good friend..." he paused.
"Tochukwu..." She called warningly and he chuckled.
"The only thing I want from you is for you to talk to me." He continued.
"Talk to you?" She asked confused.
"Yes, talk to me, really talk to me. Don't hold back because of what I'll say or do like the H&F incident, you told me what you felt at first and then when I snapped at you, you retreated into your shell."
She looked away and nodded.
"I may get angry but please talk to me, correct me, tease me, be free with me." He spoke, gently turning her face back to him with his thumb, "even if you don't do it with anyone else, do it with me. Tell me your problems and I'll tell you mine. Treat me like your good close friend."
"Why?" She asked
"I like your personality."
"Why?" She persisted.
"I don't know. I just want it."
"I'll try," she muttered, "and vice versa." She wagged her finger at him.
"I already do all that."
"Liar. Why were you moody last Friday during the heat?"
His eyes widened, "I..." he stuttered, scratching his head.
"See. Do as I say, don't do as I do dem dem."
"I was confused about something and I was mad at myself," he finally spoke up.
"Why?"
"Kamsi..." He drawled, tapping his foot impatiently and looking anywhere but her face.
"Kaito, why?"
"I was stressed out from errands plus I said I was confused about something and I was mad at myself," he answered with a sigh.
"And I asked why? Why were you confused? Why were you mad at yourself?"
"It's personal."
She paused, "oh."
"And I want to tell you but I don't know how to tell you and I know I said we should share our problems but I'll tell you in time, I prom... I'll try to hold to my word."
"It's fine."
She looked out the window, the environment was almost bereft of people. Most people were in the blocks. Both of them were alone in her class.
"Let's go. I also want to prepare for tomorrow." She said, getting to get feet.
"Okay," he agreed, about to stand up but then stopped and looked down at his feet that were clad in black socks and the popular male palm slippers, turning it to the side to examine it.
"Kaito, it is sparkling clean," she laughed, watching him. He stood up.
"Also your housewear. It is immaculately purple," she added before he could examine it. She tugged on the drawstrings of his shirt.
It was weird that they had drawstrings on their house wears, both boys' and girls' unlike other federal schools. It was a trend that was started by the ss3 set 7 years before, she was told. It was getting quite popular before the principal complained and abolished it but the ss3s, even with the punishment that was meted out to them, still persisted until 3 years after, it was allowed and everyone added it to their house wears. Some still wore the old check that was passed down to them from the alumni.
"I don't trust you," he said but walked with her out of the class.
"C.J," she shouted when she saw him walking into his class. He turned and smiled at her.
"Long time friend," he greeted. She excused herself from Kaito and walked toward him.
"Watsup," He asked when she got close to him.
"Cool. So are you still busing home?" She asked, looking up at him. He was quite tall.
"No."
She glared at him, "so you're leaving me?"
He laughed, "sorry, it's not intentional. I'm going with Sam. His mum is picking him up and they have a car."
"Sly oh sly," she frowned.
"And they are living around my location."
She sighed, "we'll see tomorrow." she said and turned like she was about to leave.
"Wait!" He grabbed her arm, "you're not angry, are you?"
"No."
"Kamsi..." He drawled.
"It's fine."
"I'll make it up to you, I swear."
"It's not cool to swear."
"I promise."
She wanted to add that she didn't like promises but kept quiet.
"Kamsi," he called again.
She laughed at him, "I'm fine, seriously. I understand, we'll see tomorrow."
He nodded, letting go of her arm.
"I like your ring," he called out as she walked away. She gave him a thumbs up.
"Let's go," She said when she got to Kaito who was leaning against a wall, watching them.
"Michael had a crush on you, now C.J is crushing on you. Who knows who else has a crush on you? And why is everyone crushing on you?" Kaito spoke as he leaned off the wall and began walking with her.
"How is two everybody? And C.J is not crushing on me. We're friends." She corrected.
"Being friends with someone doesn't mean they can't like you more than a friend. It happens," he argued.
"Ok, but I don't think he has a crush on me." She insisted.
"Well I am the guy and I know the signs," he argued.
"Ok."
"Ok?"
"Ok."
He looked at her, "what are you going to do about it?"
"Nothing. What am I supposed to do?" She shot back.
"Do you like him too?"
"Yeah. As a friend."
"Unrequited love," he sighed, "it hurts."
"He's cool. I wouldn't mind liking him that way."
"But you don't."
"But I don't." She repeated smiling, "the heart knows its choice."
"And what's the heart choice?"
"Wouldn't you like to know?" She teased, chuckling. One thing that she noticed about him was that he liked asking a lot of questions, poking, peeping, intruding.
He smiled down at her, his dimples peeking out. He had a nice smile, also a nice face, a nice build, a nice attitude. She liked the way he carried himself, she liked that he wanted to be her friend, wanted to know about her and be close to her. She liked that she felt important when she was with him, she liked the way he talked to her, the way he looked at her, the way he smiled at her and she liked the feel of his palm on hers as he slipped his hand into hers.
She didn't realize what was happening until it was too late.