8: Seeing him

And she did see.
On Tuesday, the Vp of student affairs called her to her office and granted her permission to leave the school unsupervised to go to the nearest Jamb registration center and register for her Jamb exam. She was to be accompanied by Kaitochukwu, the Labour Prefect. Speaking of the devil, he was by the window in the office in a properly ironed uniform.
She didn't know how but soon, she, Kaito, Daniel, Nonso, Michael, Toyosi, and Kehinde B were walking out of the school like regular people. How the five of them got to know and receive permission, she had no idea.
"Mehn, this is cool." Toyosi laughed happily, pretending to flick back non-existent hair. She was on a low cut, and so was Kamsi.
"I feel like I've been in darkness for fifty years." Kehinde B added, doing funny wiggles.
"When you're not even up to half the age. Girls and their exaggeration." Daniel mocked.
"Hope you guys brought cash oo, cause we're spending!" Nonso whooped, giving Michael a high-five.
"They're going to search us" Kaito warned.
"Work your magic." Nonso and Michael said together then burst into laughter.
The road they were walking on was quite lonely so their voices rang out loud. They still had to walk a bit before they could get to where they termed 'Civilization', where they would board a vehicle to where she was to register.
The V.P had given her the money she needed, saying her parents had sent the money. It was normal for parents or guardians to send provisions and money to the school for their children and wards, it was collected at the gate by the security personnel. It was the duty of the assistant Labour prefects to collect it all and bring it to the student affairs office where it would be distributed. Since Nonso was the assistant, it was normal that Kaito sometimes did the job.
She wondered why Kaito had not given her the money himself and instead lied the money's way into her pocket. She didn't understand why he was helping her. She had repeated it severally that she wasn't in his debt and he nodded and merely said it was the V.P who gave her the money and not him but she thanked him anyway. He was in her good books, she smirked internally.
"It would be better if we wore mufti." Daniel spoke.
"Mrs. Aiegbokan will never allow us." Kehinde B sneered.
"I feel like singing out loud." Toyosi cooed.
"You're already shouting out loud." Michael said and they all laughed.
"Picture perfect, you don't need no filter!" Toyosi sang, placing her hand in front of her face to resemble a phone.
"Gorgeous, make 'em drop dead, you're a killer!" Kehinde B followed, and the guys groaned.
"You guys stop. You're embarrassing us." She laughed. Cars were passing.
"Who cares?" Michael shushed her, "shower you with all my attention, yeah these are my only intentions!" He shouted with Kehinde B and Toyosi. Soon all of them except Kaito were singing along.
"Stay in the kitchen cooking up, got your own bread
Heart full of equuuiity, you're an asset
Make sure that you don't need no mentions
Yeah, these are my only intentions."
She, Michael, Nonso, and Kehinde B rapped when it got to Quavo's part.
"My voice is on fire." Kehinde B croaked.
"Tochukwu, loosen up." Nonso punched Kaito playfully.
"If loosening up means behaving like mentally insane parrots on a public road then no, thanks, I'll pass."
"You're calling us mentally insane parrots!" She exclaimed with playfully widened eyes while Toyosi hit him repeatedly.
"Guys, stop. We're getting to civilization." Daniel whispered dramatically. She laughed along with the rest. This is what friendship feels like, she thought.
She registered alright but the seven of them had gone around town, buying whatnots and making fools of themselves in private; in public, they were the posh students of a popular Federal school that had no business with frivolities. They bought a lot of contrabands which they successfully smuggled in with the help of the boys. Nonso and Kaito got new haircuts even though there was the school's barber that came every weekend; Daniel got himself new shoes, saying his former ones were squishy; she, Kehinde B, Toyosi, and Michael got new wristwatches; Toyosi secretly got herself new underwears; they all got themselves the same head warmers 'their signature head warmers' in only black colour because Michael said black was badass and finally they bought Spaghetti and Chicken in big takeaways to take back to school. They were given one and a half hours but they ended up spending twice that time which earned them four strokes of Mrs. Aiegbokan's pepper cane. She was a very strict woman.
"Chinonso, Kaitochukwu, I'm disappointed in you!" These were her very first words.
It was quite painful, she had to force herself not to cry so as not to look like a weakling but then Daniel and Nonso petted her so much that she cried in Daniel's arms, Toyosi sniffing away her tears the instant it came. Kehinde B didn't even blink and the boys were well... used to it.
But then after the sorrow came the joy. They laughed it off, sneaking to the refectory to eat their big takeaways of Spaghetti and Chicken.