Chapter 19: You two can die together

She had dinner with Kaito and Nonso at the box. While the other students ate beans with fried plantains, they ate spaghetti and turkey, courtesy of Nonso's guardian. Anytime she envisioned the stark contrast between the two meals, she was tempted to laugh.
Beans wasn't exactly the preferred food when students still had lots of provisions so the prefect box was a bit scanty. They had a table to themselves.
"If not for anything," She said to the boys, swallowing a piece of turkey, "I'll be your friend just because of food."
The boys laughed.
"You are savage," Nonso said with a shake of his head. He was sitting opposite her and Kaito.
"Seriously," She expounded, "Before I knew you both, I was always stuck with refectory food and provisions but after, I eat turkey and special rice and I am meeting friends with guardians that spoil them. I wish my guardian remembers me more often."
"Who is your guardian?" Kaito asked. She was tempted to blush. He always had this look in his eyes when he looked at her that made her feel special.
"Miss Folashade," She answered, looking down at her food, "Junior school social studies teacher. I only meet her like once in a blue moon."
"Because you don't like meeting her, madam independent," He teased then faced Nonso, "I thought you said you are giving the other plate to Toyosi."
She looked at Nonso, a forkful of spaghetti halfway to her mouth.
"I have not seen her oo," Nonso replied, his voice strangely a tad higher, "I told Yemisi to tell her to come but I haven't seen her. I just thought to give her so she won't murder me when she finds out."
"You are talking too much," Kaito spoke, a hint of mockery in his tone, "You should have called her yourself. Who wants to eat cold food?"
"I," She raised a hand, "the turkey actually."
"Stop teasing me," Nonso eyed Kaito, "You know that I am still getting over her. Of course, I'll act weird sometimes."
"I'm not saying sorry," Kaiyo shrugged and focused on eating his food.
"Then I'll insult you. A whole big boy like you cannot get the girl you like to say yes to you and she reads with you every day. Who's worse?"
"Actually," She cut in, amused, "I said yes already. He didn't tell you?" Kaito's head snapped up and he shot her a glare.
Nonso's expression went from surprised to annoyed, "Kaitochukwu..."
"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," Kaito said quickly, raising his hands in defense, "It was just yesterday and I wanted Kamsi to be there when I tell you. I'm sorry."
She looked between the two of them, aware that there was something more going on. There was silence for a long while then Nonso sighed.
"I don't like what you are doing," He complained, "this is not the first time nor the second nor the third nor the fourth..."
"I am sorry," Kaito said humbly, "I meant to tell you."
Nonso moved his annoyed gaze to her, "And I want to blame you but you are not in control of his actions so let me report him to you instead. Since he met you, he has been keeping things from me."
"Since he met me!" She exclaimed in disbelief. She started to feel like a traitor.
"I am serious," Nonso continued matter-of-factly, "I didn't know when he started having feelings for you, I didn't know when he paid for your jamb, I didn't know when he wanted to take a break from you, I didn't know when his dad almost broke a bottle on his head, I didn't know when he started having exam fever, I didn't know when he asked you out and now I didn't know when you said yes. These are just the ones that pained me the most, there are still others. And he's acting like this big boy that can handle everything and does not need anyone to watch out for him, just because he thinks he is taking good care of his girl. He's now spraying extra perfume and spending long hours in front of the mirror and he even uses lip balm..."
To kiss her?
"...Before he barely listens when the other guys are talking about girls but now he listens and he was so focused when M.K. talked about his first kiss. I understand these last things are normal for a guy with feelings for a girl but I cannot tolerate him constantly keeping things from me and neglecting my feelings. Was I not the one that brought you two back together? Am I not always here for both of you? Did I not accept you, Kamsi, when I noticed he liked you? So what is it? Is it because he thinks I'll disapprove of his changing ideas or that I won't understand?"
"If he does not want to do this friendship thing with me again then he should say so. If he is feeling too big or he is tired of me, tell him to tell me so I'll stay on my own. What's his problem?"
She glanced at Kaito. He had his head down.
"Nonso, it's not like that," She intervened quickly when he began to pack his things.
"Abeg," He brushed her hand off, "you two can die together."