Chapter 4: Did you kiss?

Somehow, she knew he had it on his mind to ask but it didn't stop the surprise from washing through her veins.
"Kamsi," he called when the seconds ticked past and she had not said a word.
"You said we could be friends," she forced out, swallowing.
He blew out a breath, "Yes, but..." he drew her even closer, "with the way we are now, we might as well date. I know I said so but then I was not sure of what I wanted, all I knew was that I didn't want to lose you. Now, I just... I don't like that we are so casual when there's obviously something deeper going on."
She looked down at her hands.
"But I want you to think about it," he continued softly, "if you don't feel it's best for you, for your studies, your life then don't say yes, but if you feel in any way that it's something you want and can manage, then..."
She nodded. "I'll think about it," she mumbled.
She hesitated then leaned into him. He wrapped his arm around her.
"But know that I'll always be your friend," he murmured against her cheek, "Before I became any other thing to you, I was your friend."
*
"Tochukwu and Kamsi sitting on a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g!"
Kamsi paused halfway through wearing her shoes. It wasn't just her roommates singing, the adjourning SS3 room had joined.
The best thing she could do now, she thought, was to act oblivious.

"What's going on?" She asked dumbly, moving back so Ejiro wouldn't spit on her with the amount of energy she was using to sing.

"Tochukwu and Kamsi sitting on a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g!"

She held back the laugh that threatened to give her away. A small crowd was steadily forming around her corner.

"You people should free me, abeg," she spoke.

"Kamsi, you of all people. Hey! God when oo," Jamilah exclaimed, dancing around, "Of all our roommates, Kamsi was the chosen one."

She sat on Tobi's bed. The attention was overwhelming.

"Stop pretending," Ejiro dragged her back up, "you think people have not been watching the both of you, eh? Since extension."

"So Kamsi, you too yaff do the do," Faridah teased and winked.

"Oh Jesus," she finally gave in to the laughter, "spoilt minds."

"Gist us na. Are you guys dating?" Bisola from the next room, questioned.

"They are dating!" Ifeoma butted in loudly, clapping her hands, "We saw them yesterday hugging and kissing."

"Ah!" She shouted in shock, "Ifeoma better watch your mouth there oo. When did you see such?"

"Stop pretending," Ejiro nudged her with a cunny look, "It's not like it's a new thing."

She placed her hands over her head. Hugging and kissing! The previous night was their first official hug or maybe the second.

The first time was when she cried because of Mr. Kola, the second time was when Toyosi pushed them together, and the third time was when Kaito wanted to take a break. Last night was the first time they hugged freely.

"No. Kamsi can't do that. You people should leave her alone," Judith intervened.

"Thank you!" She cried in exasperation.

"God when oo," Chidera from the next room sighed then asked her, "I thought you were with C.J. Wetin sup?"

"That's true," the rest agreed, pressing in on her for information.

"We are just friends," She answered, frustrated, "please I need to finish dressing up. Warden will be here soon."
She turned around to dodge further questions when a soap-covered Tobi flew in through the door.

"Kamsi, what am I hearing about you? What happened?"

"Tobi, get out," Ejiro laughed along with her, "look at you. Warden will be here soon."

"Gangi girls, leave the block!" It was the warden.

"See your life," She laughed as Tobi flew back out of the room, and the rest of the girls scattered.

"Gangi girls, leave the block! 1! 2! 3!..."

*

"So you are dating Kaito."

Kamsi sighed. She was walking to class with Kehinde B. It wasn't just her friends who were curious, she could see it on the faces of the rest of her mates, even students of younger classes.

Kaito was a popular boy, along with his best friend, Nonso, and they were both prefects. Both teachers and students would be interested in any news that had to do with them.

"No, I am not," She answered, glancing at her friend, "Why is everyone on my gist this morning?"

Kehinde chuckled. She didn't like the way Kehinde was looking at her, some kind of knowing look.

"They said they saw you guys hugging and kissing yesterday," Kehinde answered.

"Jesus." She was shaken to her core. When Ifeoma said it, she thought it was just Ifeoma being her nosy self but hearing the same thing from Kehinde shook her.

"Who are the 'they'?" She blurted out, knowing it was a hopeless question.

"Ahn ahn," Kehinde laughed, "how am I supposed to know? The walls have ears and eyes."

She hissed, feeling aggrieved. Hugging, she could manage but kissing? How could she cope with the entire school thinking she was in a dirty relationship with Kaito when she was not that kind of person?

They arrived at Kehinde's class. Kehinde made to go In but stopped.

"But did you guys... kiss?"

She facepalmed.

"It's not a big deal," Kehinde rushed out, "Taiwo and I kiss all the time. Don't mind the rumours."

"We didn't kiss," she told Kehinde, not sure of how to feel about Kehinde sharing intimate details of her relationship with her at that time, "we only hugged which is normal."
Not so normal for her. She was still getting used to it. Perhaps she shouldn't.

Kehinde smiled awkwardly and went in and she continued her journey to her class.

"Kamsi, I heard your gist..."

"So keep it to yourself," She snapped.