Chapter 16: I have thought of kissing you

The group was restored. Kaito, Nonso, Toyosi, Michael, Daniel, and herself. Kehinde B was formally with Taiwo and his friends. There was a new addition, Sarah.
"I've actually missed you guys," Michael spoke, smiling, "It's funny how we got so close and then we just drifted apart."
"Life," Daniel mumbled. He was seriously focused on his chemistry textbook. Since extension, she noticed the serious and confident change in him. She liked it.
"Abeg, let's read. Nobody will get less than three As here," Michael said and opened his note.
"Amen!" Daniel shouted. She laughed and said an Amen herself.
The group fell silent as everyone began to read. They were in the refectory as usual. She and Kaito moved aside slightly because she was explaining a chemistry equation to him and she didn't want to disturb the others.
"How do you understand and explain everything so seamlessly?" He wowed when she was done.
"Because I am Mother Mary's baby," She replied with a wink.
He smiled and began to solve the equation himself. She slipped her hand into his and squeezed lightly before letting go. He visibly relaxed after that.
About thirty minutes later, Toyosi hissed loudly.
"Nonso, please you can see people are reading here with you," She complained loudly.
Nonso looked up from his note, bewildered. "What did I do?"
"Stop drumming on the table," Toyo snapped, "You are distracting me."
"Oh sorry," Nonso said calmly and focused back on his reading.
Ten minutes later...
Another hiss. "Nonso!"
"What did I do again?" He asked with a sigh.
"Stop hitting the table! If you can't stay still, please go elsewhere!"
"Okay." He rose.
"Where are you going?" She asked quickly.
"To the next table," He answered, shrugging off her hand. He moved over to the next table.
Two minutes later...
She had not noticed what Toyosi was accusing him of before because she was concentrating on her reading but now, she could clearly hear the sound of Nonso's drumming.
"Nonso!"
She winced. Toyo's voice could get quite loud. Michael sniggered, Sarah laughed to herself, Daniel's eyes stayed firm on his book.
"Toyosi, I have moved away from your table. What again?" Nonso asked innocently.
"Do you think I am deaf? Why did you increase the sound of your drumming? You are trying to distract me, abi?" Toyo accused.
"I don't see how my drumming concerns you since I am no longer on your table," Nonso replied calmly.
"You are disturbing me," Toyo said angrily.
"You are just one out of six people. I choose the majority's silence."
Toyo's nostrils flared and surely, fire could have come out of her eyes at that moment. She hissed loudly and glared down at her note. She saw Nonso's light smirk before it disappeared and she noticed the way his eyes lingered on Toyo before he continued reading.
"Don't mind them," Kaito said lowly, "They love the attention."
"Like," She chuckled. Two hot-headed people.

Night prep was soon over and they walked to the blocks together, holding hands.
"Will you read at midnight?" He asked, taking her bag from her. She rolled her eyes. He had formed the habit of carrying her bag for her whenever they were going to the hostel together. Not like the bag had any serious weight.
"Probably, I think I will or I won't feel so confident to write this chemistry," She answered, "When I think I'm good to go, I'll see another topic that looks like it needs a separate textbook of its own."
He chuckled. He let go of her hand and instead put his arm around her shoulder.
"Have you noticed something since we started dating?" She asked him. The word dating still sounded so foreign.
"What?" He asked.
"It feels like we are closer," She mused, "And all those worries I had before now seem inconsequential. We are even closer friends."
"Girlfriend," He said, "not friends."
"Whatever."
"You are probably still calling us friends because we haven't started doing what people do in relationships," He commented. There was a hint of smugness in his tone that made her alert.
"What do people do in relationships?" She asked. They came to a stop in front of the girls' hostel and he withdrew his arm from her shoulder and handed her bag over.
"What do you think they do?" He threw back and slowly, his lips curved into a smirk.
She stared at him.
"Or I can show you," He said and took a step closer.
"Stop," She blushed, moving back a step. Her cheeks were flaming hot, "What do you think you are doing?"
"Deny that you've never thought of kissing me."
Her eyes bulged out of their sockets and she stood there, opening and closing her mouth like someone caught red-handed in evil.
He smirked. "Good. You've thought of kissing me, I've thought of kissing you. We should try it out."
"You... you are..." She shook her head.
"Go and sleep," She blurted out and abruptly turned and hurried away.
The sight of his smirk hunted her throughout the night.