Chapter 25: I hope we kiss one day

Taiwo, though he wasn't a Catholic, attended Mass that day and so did Kehinde. So after confession, just as Father advised, she met with Kehinde and they made up; she did let her know that what she meant to do with Taiwo was bad.
Kaito waited for her the whole time and when she finally met up with him, she was glowing with smiles.
"Did Jesus' representative transform into Jesus today?" He asked, taking her hand. Her happy mood infected him because he began smiling himself. Since the incident, he had been worried and walking on eggshells around her.
"I think so. I could not see his face behind the white screen though," She answered with a chuckle.
He was quiet then he said, "You know, the reason why I acted like a coward that night when Nonso scolded me was because I didn't want you to see me in a bad light. I thought I always had to maintain this cool boy image in front of you."
"Really?" She teased.
He looked at her with narrowed eyes. "Yes, really, and I may have given you the impression that I am not ready to be fully open with you. I just want you to know that I intend to take our relationship seriously, I am going to be open with you from now on. I know I am still new to this stuff but I do really like you and want to be with you."
"You are speaking too much English," She said with a roll of her eyes but she was smiling.
"Your good mood is scaring me," He sighed and she laughed lightly.
"I understand," She replied, nudging him, "I also would not like it if someone tells you something bad about me. I am still getting used to this vulnerability thing too. Don't worry, we'll work it out together. I'll try."
"I'll try too."
She squeezed his hand.
When they were almost close to the girls' hostel, she told him with a slight blush. "Father said it is wrong to kiss."
He seemed startled to hear it then he relaxed and asked with a short laugh, "Have you been thinking about it since that time?"
Her cheeks were flaming hot. "You were the one who started it. You can't blame me."
"Well, I shouldn't have done that," He admitted cheekily, "Nonso's mum, once upon a time, gave us a long lecture on why we should abstain from any form of intimate contact, well, except hugging, but I was curious about it and I wanted to do it with you."
"Shut up," She blushed.
"I'll shut up," He grinned, "and I'll try not to insinuate that again."
The hostel was locked, of course, to be opened when all the religious groups were done with their programs. Being Catholics, they closed the earliest. They continued to class.
The classes were strangely bereft of humans, Mr. Lawal probably chased all the offenders to Church.
"I don't feel like reading just yet, we should play a game or something," He was saying but she was thinking of the last time they hugged. She looked out the window and the door then she looked at him, blushed, and abruptly threw herself into his arms.
"Okay," He drawled with a chuckle, returning the hug.
"We can hug like once a week," She spoke, her voice muffled against his Sunday shirt.
"Two times a week."
"Okay. Two times a week."
They hugged for so long that she began to feel sleepy, or maybe it was because of his soothing hands that massaged her head.
She was sure in her drowsy state that she heard him whisper, "I hope we kiss one day."
THE END!