Chapter 44: Back to School

They left the hotel at about noon after saying the Angelus prayer and praying for journey mercies and again exam success. Her phone was still switched off. She knew she would receive a lot of scoldings when she got back to school.
"When is your visiting day?" Her father asked, glancing at her.
"On Saturday," She answered.
It was normal that neither of her parents would come, especially now that he had been forced to take a leave from work. The visiting day was on the first Saturday of every month and they both worked on Saturdays. She always felt lonely seeing everyone coming back to the hostel with food and fresh provisions, happy to have met their loved ones while she either stayed in the hostel or went off to a lonely place to spend her time.
Daniel always invited her to eat with him and sometimes he even tried sharing his provisions with her to which she declined. She sometimes ate with him or Toyosi or Sarah or a select few of her roommates but she never got too comfortable.
"This Saturday? The day after tomorrow?" He asked, surprised.
"Yes."
"Oh first Saturday," He murmured and sighed, and she knew what was coming next.
"I don't know if I will be able to make it, or your mother," He said.
"It's fine," She smiled.
He scoffed, "Stop lying to me."
Her smile dropped.
"I know you don't like it," He continued soberly, "neither do I but it's life. I don't think I'll be allowed to absent myself from work again after this one."
"Daddy, I understand," She told him sincerely, "this is already more than a visiting."
"I know you do understand but understanding doesn't make it all better. I don't want to get your hopes up but if there's any chance, I'll make it."
She nodded.
"You should have told me earlier," He said, glancing at her, "I would have bought provisions back at Osun."
She shrugged. She still had provisions in school. She looked back, squinting at a road sign then faced ahead when she couldn't read it.
"Where are we now?" She asked.
"I just entered Ogun. We should be in school in another hour."
She nodded and took his phone. She spent the hour on the phone with her mum then her sister. They finally arrived at school and she sighed longingly, watching the security guard shut the gate. She was back in locks.
They parked in the car lot and they went first to the V.P. student affairs who scolded her for not putting on her uniform. She didn't wash it.
"Take care of yourself, i nugo?" Her father said as she took out her bag from the car.
"I'll try," He whispered when they hugged.
"I sent seven thousand to your guardian. If you need anything, provisions, whatever, don't hesitate to use it."
"Seven thousand?" She raised a brow, "We are coming back for Easter break in two weeks."
He nodded knowingly, "Spend anyhow you like."
She gaped at him. Was this her father?
He laughed. "I'm only saying that because I know you'll manage it. You are my daughter. You can keep any amount remaining with her, you'll use it during the extension."
She oohed. He patted her on the shoulder before getting into the car. She waved as he drove off then turned around to face her life.
It was afternoon prep hours, almost time for dinner. She trudged lazily to her class, taking the opposite way of Kehinde's class. She wasn't ready to be seen.
"Kamsiyonna!"
She shook her head with a smile as she jogged up the short staircase to her class.
"Kamsi from the city! Beauty from the East!"
She laughed, going to her seat.
"Sittie, how far?" Sarah beamed. They hugged.
"Wetin you bring come?" Kola who was passing, asked.
"Olonjeya," Cynthia hissed.
"Must I bring anything?" She laughed, "I went to write an exam, not to shop."
"Person wey dey write exam dey look fine like this!?" Ben shouted from his seat at the back.
"Abi," Cynthia agreed, "you just went for three days and you are shining like this."
"I like your blouse oo, sittie," Sarah complimented.
"Thank you," She beamed. It was made by her fashion stylist mother.
"Oya, wetin you bring come?" Kola asked impatiently.
"Guy, chillax," Sarah eyed him.
"I did not bring anything oo, I don't know why you guys are rushing me," She said, folding her arms, "it's not like you gave me money."
"Kamsi na," Kola coaxed.
She sighed and brought out a small pack of chocolates.
"Gba," She gave it to Kola and dusted her hands dramatically, "I have paid my tribute to the class."
Kola whooped, "I knew it! She has seen the light while we remain here in darkness."
"It is only you that is darkness," Chika eyed him, "In Jesus' name, I am in the light of Christ."
They laughed.
"Babe, I was only kidding," Kola winked at Chika who pushed him away.
"Make way! Clear road! Sharp sharp!"
She laughed. Of course, it was Nonso. Not surprisingly, people made way for him. They were too busy fighting Kola for a piece of chocolate. Kaito was, of course, behind him.
"Kamsi, you want to give me a heart attack, o kwa ya?" Nonso complained, pulling her up from her chair. Sarah quickly caught her bag that fell. He pushed her locker away roughly before hugging her.
"I was gone for just two nights," She laughed, patting his back, "I know you missed me. You don't have to make it so obvious."
Nonso pulled away and clamped his large hands on her shoulder.
"What happened to your phone?" He asked with a frown, "Not reachable since yesterday. Everyone was thinking you too had an accident."
"Nonso, leave her first. Yawa is for later," Toyosi, who she hadn't noticed enter, spoke then pulled her away from Nonso and hugged her. She felt like a piece of meat.
She glanced at Kaito who was leaning against the wall, watching them quietly. She disengaged and hugged Kehinde B. Then she hugged Daniel who awkwardly patted her back.
Nonso tapped his foot impatiently, still frowning. "I don't like to be kept waiting."
"Pele oo, boss man," Toyo teased.
She hugged Cynthia and Michael then turned to Kaito.
"You don't want my hug?" She asked playfully, smiling at him. He straightened but still clutched his bag, making no move to hug her. He smiled and she blushed slightly.
"I'll pass," He said.
Toyosi hissed. "Ogbeni, take hug," She said and suddenly pushed her to Kaito. He immediately let go of his bag to catch her. He stumbled but held on to her tightly. She barely processed the feeling before jumping away nervously.
She laughed to dispel the tension but she felt high.
"Seriously?" She hissed at Toyo.
"Now," Nonso pushed her down to her seat, "What happened to your phone?"
She shrugged innocently.
Toyo glared at her. "Since yesterday. Everybody wanted to know how your exam was and you purposely switched it off."
She blinked, "Who told you I switched it off purposely?"
Toyo sneered, "You think I don't know you?"
Why were they taking it so seriously!?