15: CJ

"There are cookies in my locker. If you want them," He offered. She wanted to refuse but changed her mind. She didn't want them both to be nervous and shy. She opened his locker, seeing it neatly arranged and tidy; she nodded internally, another plus. She took the pack of cookies, shutting the locker. Opening it, she took one thick piece and placed the pack on the locker, between them. She bit into the chocolatey goodness.
"Are you going to allow me to finish it all?" She queried on her second bite after seeing him just staring at her.
"I'm fine," He declined.
"For your cookies. Come on, grab one," She urged. He chuckled, taking one out of the pack but instead of eating it, he rolled it around his fingers. She narrowed her eyes at him, forced the cookie out of his grasp, and pushed it into his protesting mouth. His eyes popped out, amazed at her audacity.
"Eat," She ordered, her palm over his mouth. He blinked, a smile creeping up his face. He slowly chewed. As her palm was still over his mouth, she felt the movement and she smiled, remembering her funny conversation with Kaito about their mouths. She retrieved her hand, glancing at CJ's lips. They were full, dark, and slightly smaller than Kaito's but not as small as hers. She facepalmed internally. What was she thinking?
"You're eating with me," She ordered again.
"How do your friends survive?" He sighed light-heartedly but obliged her.
"They can't do without me," She answered with a cocky look then she remembered when Kaito had said she was controlling and her countenance fell.
"I'm sorry if I was controlling or too impulsive," She apologized quickly, "it's just how I am and we just met and I shouldn't..."
"I don't mind" he Interrupted her, "I like that you're free... and this is not our first meeting." He corrected.
"I know but this is the first time we're really talking," She refuted, emphasizing the talking. He nodded and she noticed he was nervous again, fiddling with his fingers.
"You know I'm shy too... and nervous," She spoke. He met her eyes, his face blank.
"But I'm trying to cover it up. I mean, this is an awkward situation. We were just announced as house couples and we're supposed to be in a friend-romantic relationship when we barely even know each other. It's just weird and it doesn't make sense and now we have to deal with people looking and watching whenever we are together or even alone and..."
"Kamsi," CJ laughed and she stopped rambling.
"Sorry" she smiled sheepishly, "what I'm saying is let's pretend we are not house couples and that we're not both nervous and shy, and let's act like we're already friends, long-time friends."
"Okay" he smiled, "you make it easy anyway."
"Make what easy?"
She took another cookie.
"I feel like I can be free and comfortable around you and you're easy to talk to. I like your personality," He answered, looking away and back quickly into her eyes.
What was with boys and liking her personality? What was in her personality anyway?
"Thanks and I like your personality too," She laughed. She noticed the textbook on his seatmate's locker and noticed his name on it.
"So you're getting prepared for Jamb and Waec."
"Only Waec... and Neco. I'm not writing Jamb," He answered, casually taking out another cookie.
"Why?" She asked curiously.
He shrugged, "I don't feel like going to uni this year and besides, my mum is... my mum is sick and if I leave, there would be no one to take care of her."
"Oh... but aren't you like... away now?"
"My aunt is with her now but she's leaving soon. My dad is dead."
She blinked, not knowing what to say.
He smiled, "I'll just stay and write next year's Jamb. My brother is finishing his NYSC this year so... everything will work out."
"Amen," She smiled gratefully, "thanks for confiding in me."
"You said to talk like long-time friends." He laughed.
"It's not that easy."
"Are you writing?"
"Yeah but just for practice. I'm underaged."
"When is your birthday?"
"September."
"September what?"
"Are you going to send me roses on my birthday?" She asked instead of answering.
"Long-time friends are supposed to know each other's birthday and..." He smirked, "I may consider sending the roses."
"You don't even know my home address."
They would have graduated before then.
"I have my ways."
"Then use your ways to find my birth date."
"Okay."
The cookies were finished so he was back to tapping his fingers on his locker. A nervous habit, she noticed. She felt a strong urge to hold his hands, they were long and slender but she didn't want to make things too awkward. She looked out the window.
"I'll go back now," She spoke up.
"Oh... are you bored?" He asked, disappointed.
"No," She smiled reassuringly, "I just want to leave."
His hands were still.
"Give me your hands," She demanded.
"Why?" He queried but stretched out his hands. She took them in hers; they were cool and soft. She released his left hand, grabbing a pen and scribbling something unto his right palm.
"There, long-time friend," She smiled, releasing his hand. He slowly relaxed his tensed body, looking into his palm. He smiled.
Innocently devilish, she thought, she could stare at his smile all day.
"I thought you wanted me to use my ways," He cocked a brow.
She pressed a hand to her chest, feigning seriousness, "I'm so merciful and kind."
They laughed. She rose and he joined her, following her out of his class.
"No need to accompany me back, I'm sure they are still there since we are eating beans," She told him. Monday night's dinner was beans with boiled or fried plantain but as far as a new resumption was concerned, the refectory would barely be half-filled. Beans was one of the less desired food; only when it was nearing the end of term and most students' provisions were finished would the refectory be filled.
"Ok," He tucked his hands in his pocket.
"Tell your class boys to be more subtle when prying," She said with a shake of her head.
He laughed, not looking back, "They're just surprised."
"Surprised?"
"I'm not the girl type."
"Oh, you're definitely the girl type," She punched his arm playfully.
He smirked, "I know, I know. I meant I don't really roll with girls."
"I guess I'm special then," She smiled at him, walking backwards from him, "I'll see you later."
"Sure... Long time friend."
She chuckled, turning away with a final wave.
Getting back to the field, as expected, they were all still sitting there, gisting and laughing.
"I didn't know it takes this long to walk someone to class," Kehinde teased immediately after she got close enough. The teasing continued till she forced them to stop. Then she found out Kaito was Kumari's king, Danielle Smith, the queen; Daniel was Kwaiki's king, Mercy, the queen; Nonso had battered (slang for beat) Idanre's marchers, because they were wack, and Toyosi, had pecked an Ss1 boy because he was too cute and perfect.
"What did the boy do?" She asked, amused at Toyosi's antics.
"He loves me now," Toyosi replied cockily. Nonso hissed.
"So Kamsi, watsup?" Daniel asked.
"The sky."
"Watsup, asin watsup with you and Caleb?" Daniel rolled his eyes.
Her eyes narrowed, and she asked, "Were you guys expecting us to fall in love, profess our love for each other, get married and have children within the thirty minutes I was away?"
"This girl you're too dramatic," Michael laughed along with the rest.
"So did you fall in love?" Kaito asked with a smug look.
She hissed, "Yes, I did."
"You did?" Nonso asked with hopeful eyes.
"Of course, I didn't. Dummies!"