Chapter 41: Who paid for your Jamb?

His sickness lasted three more days, three more days that made her see a side to him that he rarely showed; his childish side. Many times, she would stare at him and then begin to laugh, sometimes so loudly that his ears would turn pink in embarrassment.
On Tuesday, day 4 of their punishment, the school management decided to postpone the punishments of the SS3s because of the Jamb exam. Mr. Peter also had to postpone that of his group.
She got used to reading with him because he said he still struggled with his studies and reading with her made him remember things more.
She reported her Jamb issue to the V.P Student Affairs and she was granted permission to leave the school to write her Jamb exam under parental supervision. She had to call her parents then, a task she had been avoiding, and inform them. Her mother's first question was 'Where did you get the money?' She was so tempted to lie but stopped herself in time. She avoided the question instead.
After long phone calls and baseless arguments between her parents, they decided that her dad would take her. He would pick her up from school two days before her due date and they would drive to Osun state. They would lodge in a hotel close to her exam center and the next day, they would scout the area and find routes to take them easily to the center since her exam was by 7 am. The day after her exam, they would return.
*
A day before the long-awaited Jamb exam was due to begin, she set out with her dad for Osun State. Her exam was on the second day. Kaito, Nonso, Daniel, C.J., and Toyosi saw her off to her dad's car at the car park. They chatted all the way and good luck was frequently repeated. She told Kaito and Nonso to call her the following morning before they set out to write their exam and Kaito made her promise to call him once she was settled.
Toyo and Nonso gave her hugs and C.J., not used to her friends gave her an awkward smile and a pat on the head. When they got to her dad, they greeted him respectfully and being the generous man that he was, he gave them five hundred naira each. Daniel jokingly told her not to have an accident and just before she got into the car, quickly without anyone noticing, Kaito entangled their fingers with a cute smile at her before letting go. She felt tingles on that hand throughout that day.
As soon as they drove away, her father started with her.
"You this daughter of mine, you did not tell me you were going to start making your hair," he complained, "you have started doing things without telling me, eh?"
She shot him a funny look, "I told you and mummy at home that I was going to start making my hair in school."
He scratched his nose, "Eheh..."
He perked up again, "Why did you just tell us that you are writing Jamb? You want to kill your old parents with worry, eh Kamsi? And where did you get the money from?"
Wahala, she thought and sighed, looking back at the school gate that they just passed through, the feeling of freedom washing over her.
"It's like being released from prison after a very long time. The feeling no be here," Ejiro had said.
"I didn't want to worry you guys," she replied, "if I had been given a center close to school like my mates, I would not have said anything until I see my result."
"And the last question you have been dodging," he spoke, glancing at her, "Ke ebe i wetere ego ha?"
She grimaced. "The thing is..." she paused, "just know that I did not steal the money or get it in an illegal way."
He shot her a disapproving look. "Illegal way? It is illegal if your parents do not know the source of the money."
"That's why I didn't want to tell you," she muttered under her breath.
"Kamsiyochukwu, where did you get that money from?" He asked, his tone stern.
From a boy, she almost blurted out. She didn't like it when he used that tone on her.
"Someone paid for me," she answered instead.
"Who is that someone?"