03 | Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ

- Prerna Ahuja -

It's already morning 9am, here I'm helping Aruna ji to make breakfast. Aruna ji working for us from about 3 years. I'm still sleepy. Usually I sleep a lot. But here mummy scolds me if I don't wake up early. I sighed as I completed cooking parathas .

Mumma went to the temple as it is friday as she goes there every friday. " beta , you go and call everyone for breakfast, I'll set the table ." Anuna ji said to me. I nodded smiling and went to call everyone .

As I was going I got a mail from the company 'canvas' where I applied for a job. It's a famous brand and successful company. Priya Raghuvanshi runs the company as she is a famous fashion designer and established this business about 6 years ago. I wanted to work there after my studies.

I immediately opened it . It says that I'm eligible for the interview and they will let me know about the date and time of my interview soon. "Yesss!!! I should tell this to everyone." I jumped up and down and went to call everyone.

As I returned calling everyone, I saw mumma coming from temple. Anand Bhai came and kissed my forehead while wishing 'good morning' . We all sat and having breakfast. I can't stop my smile which is spreading on my lips as I was about to announce the great news." choti ". Papa called me suddenly.

"Ji papa" before he could say anything I interrupted him "Baba I want to say something" I squealed loudly with a wide grin on my face. I couldn't contain my excitement. " We want to ask you something as well". He hesitatingly asked . " What's the matter papa ." I asked sensing his nervousness.

" We are getting good marriage proposals for you , Choti . Are you ready to get married?". I froze at the spot. W-what ??. But I'm still very young. I just completed my studies.

I looked at Anand bhai, he has the same reaction but Rahul bhai is good as if he knew this is coming. " B-but p-papa I just completed my studies right? I'm only 22 " I tried to explain.

Mummy looked at me and said " It's the correct age for marriage choti. I got married to your father when I was only 20. It's the perfect age" " Ma, Don't compare , you two belong to two different generations. Let her do what she wants." I heard Anand bhai. When it's comes to opposing my mother , I never had courage I always fear her. Even if she tells me to jump off the cliff , I'll do it . She never like the girls who answers back . That's the reason I always tried to be obedient kid and not to get into her bad side .

" You Don't know anything Anand, we know what is good for our kids and what is the right time to do marriage" She said in her stern voice. I sighed. I can feel the tears forming in my eyes. The excitement I had was long gone .I can't do anything, I'm hating the feeling of helplessness , which I've grown familiar with after all these years.

I'm feeling helpless about not fulfilling my dreams , about not living the way I want to , for not wearing the dresses I want to , for not studying in my dream college like I wanted to .

I wanted to study abroad and I received joining letter from my dream university in london ,for which I worked hard day and night . Mumma didn't allow me , said girls should not go far from their house , the world is not safe for them. About my papa and bhaiyya they didn't want to send me far. No one noticed my pain of not having what I worked hard for. I know they love me so much but they didn't realise that they crushed my dreams in the process.

"Prerna " I heard my mother's voice. I came out of my thoughts. I looked at her and realized that she is waiting for my answer. I know she won't like 'no' as an answer. So as always I obeyed.

"As you like, mumma" Which made my mom smile.

" You wanted to say something " papa asked. I released a shaky breath and shook my head

" It's not important anymore ".