Something Strange

A/n: the picture above was actually made by Jokublog, the creator of Dreamtale. It's from a short comic she made.

♤(Y/n)'s P.O.V♧

"You shall go to your room to rest," Nightmare said.

"I'm not tired?" I reply. Nightmare shrugged.

"Night, what's wrong? You seem different somehow," I told him. He was silent. Without replying, he turned away and walked down the hall. He snapped his fingers, and a strange shadow-y skeleton appeared by his side.

He pointed at me and the tall skeleton marched toward me. It was as if he was trying to be menacing, but it was like a puppy trying to make a fierce face.

"I hath been ordered to escort thee to thine room," said the skeleton, speaking in what sounded like a mix between an English accent and an Italian accent. Since he was tall and freakishly dark purple, I decided to call him Sir Shade.

"Okay," I said. "But first, do you know what's wrong with Nightmare?"

Sir Shade looked a bit nervous. "E-erm, I am not allowed to speak on such matters..."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Okay, whatevs," I said with a shrug, heading down the corridor. He followed me with a quick pace.

"W-wait! M'lady, wait for I to lead thou!"

I slowed my walk and waited for him. He smiled a little at me. "Now, follow I," he ordered, marching ahead.

I followed him, distracted by my thoughts. When Sir Shade had brushed past me, I noticed that he was not made of solid matter, but rather like a wisp of smoke.

Is he literally a shadow?

Curious, I asked him about it.

"I am only solid if I need to be a defense guard. Otherwise, I am like thy ghost and things phase through me."

"Oh."

"We're here, M'lady!" he chirped suddenly, pausing at the door. I stared at it for a moment, thinking.

I didn't want to go in there yet. I needed to EXPLORE this slightly off castle.

"Actually, change of plans, will you give me a small tour?"

"Did Master not give you one?"

"Oh, he did. I would just like to see it again."

"Um, I'm afraid I cannot do that. Thine Master gave I an order to take thee to thou room."

"And you did. We're here. I'm sure he won't mind if you guided me around, not leaving my side."

There was silence for a moment. Then Sir Shade bowed, smiling. "Of course. Follow I, then."

I followed him through the corridors and he showed me around.

"There is a dungeon in that tower over there, but it is seldom ever used," he informed me.

"And this is FCR, or First Chill Room. There are other Chill Rooms."

"And this is thine kitchen!"

"Oh, and we have lots of bathrooms for some reason, even though we don't even need them."

He pointed down the slightly brighter hall, which was aligned with what looked like THIRTY OR MORE doors.

Dang, Shadow Guy wasn't kidding around.

Maybe Nightmare kidnaps humans and those bathrooms are for them. And they get so overwhelmed they die, Chara said, and it sounded like she might have had a smile in her voice.