Behind the Mask

~▪︎(Y/n)'s P.O.V▪︎~

The pink mist was gone, and once again, I was standing in Nightmare's Castle. Everything was very different. The sense of negativity and darkness that was once there was empty, but at the same time, it was powerful.

I heard the echoing voice of Dream from somewhere, and I really wanted to find him and wrap him up in a ring of fire.

Why did he want me to fight Nightmare? Why couldn't he fight him himself? Was he scared of Nightmare?

Where was Nightmare? Why do we always get separated?

Because life is a bi-- Chara chimed, purposely cutting herself off.

Chara! Exclaimed Batfang with a tiny gasp. Chara giggled.

"Guys, hush, this is no time for fun and games," I whispered softly.

"Who are you talking to?" said a sudden voice. I jumped, turning around with my arms in a chopping motion. I saw Horror standing there, his red eye-light glowing like usual and a grin was plastered on his face.

"Wouldn't you like to know, Mister Axe Velociraptor of Death?" I countered.

Horror snorted, but I couldn't tell if he was laughing or offended. "Yeah, weirdo, that's why I asked."

"Well, fortunately for you, it doesn't matter at all! Because this is totally not real at all. We're in a dream. Well, I am."

"(Y/n). I have no idea what you're talking about," Horror said, serious all of a sudden. "I swear, I fainted in this hypnotic ugly mist, and I woke up back here. I thought I was dreaming!"

Welp. This is confusing now. Why is Horror here too? I thought Dream just wanted me to fight Nightmare. What on Earth was happening?

"Dream...that dang banana," I muttered, but I didn't realize I said it out loud until Horror went silent.

"What does Dream have anything to do with this?" he asked slowly.

I glared at him. "I don't know! That mist was caused by Dream! He wants me to fight Nightmare for some ridiculous reas--"

Horror put a hand over my mouth. "Shh! I hear something," he whisper-yelled.

I bit his hand. "You piece of bacon, get off me," I hissed. He growled, biting my finger.

"I said hush! Don't make me bite your whole hand off!" he whispered.

I rolled my eyes. "If you bite my hand off, I'll bite your head off!"

The oh so terrifying Velociraptor of Death shoved me against a wall, hiding me from whatever he was afraid of.

I began to panic, because his hands were on me, but I didn't show it. Or at least, I thought I didn't. I was apparently trembling.

He rolled me around the corner of the hall, still hovering in front of me, eyeing whatever was in the blackness. "Please, stay quiet, there's something out there and it's not friendly."

I snorted. "Oh please, I can take care of myself." Deep down, I was secretly touched that he cared about my wellbeing. Dummy. You should pick better friends than me. I'm a burden.

(Y/n), don't talk like that. You are NOT a burden. You're a great friend! I'm glad Horror sees that, and I'm glad everyone who is your friend sees that.

I didn't say anything to that, but I noticed that Horror was gazing at me, red dusted on his cheeks. Holy cheesecakes, this crazy skeleton has a crush on me, I thought. He has got to be mad. Nightmare would kill him if he found out.