14🤎

Rue

"I brought you a volunteer Ms. Nia. This is Kathleen. Kathleen this is Ms. Nia. She owns the pet hospital and rescue." I introduced the two.

I've known Ms. Nia since I was a little girl. I used to come here and sit with her and the animals every chance I got. I also admire the work she's done here because they don't put the babies down, they just take care of them until they find suitable owners.

"Kathleen nice to meet you. You aren't going to run off like the other friend Rue brought in are you?" Ms Nia laughs.

"She's talking about Lottie, she came in and worked once and never came back again. She was deathly terrified of Lillian the 100 pound pit bull. She is my favorite of all the others."

"Ah, I happen to actually like animals. Especially cats." Shuri smiles teasingly at me, I know she's just trying to be funny.

"Oh, I like you already. Rue doesn't really like the cats. We only have two here. We normally let them freely roam except for the weekends obviously because of little miss scared of cats."

"Don't let Ms. Nia lie to you. I don't like or trust them. Their sneaky, I bet if they could talk they'd just lie."

"Oh, stop it. They're angels." Ms. Nia swats at me. "Okay, well Lillian has been waiting on you since she woke up. After you tend to her you can work on the posters for the adoption day. Honestly, I just need you to run the rescue center today. We are slammed next door. Kathleen, you can just shadow her for the day." Ms. Nia runs down our list of duties.

"Okay, we'll get right on it. We have your back ma'am." I say.

"Thanks dear, I know I can always count in you. It was nice meeting you Kathleen. Let me know if you two need help, I'll be in the hospital all day." she leaves.

"So where's this Lillian you speak so highly of?" Shuri asks.

I grab her hand and lead her to my favorite dog in the world. Lillian has a grey and white coat. She's huge, most people are scared of her but she's a big softie.

"Good morning pretty girl!" I say to Lillian. She gets excited and wags her tail.

"Why does she look evil?" Shuri frowns.

"She's just smiling, she's happy. She likes meeting new people." I try to open her kennel.

"Wait, don't open that. She's snarling and showing her teeth. That's not happy." She jumps back.

"I promise, just stand there." I open the kennel, clamp Lillian's leash on and let her roam. She immediately sits in front of Shuri and wags her tail.

"Pet her."

"No Angel."

"Please princess." I take her hand into mine and place it on Lillian's head. Once she sees Lillian is no harm to anyone she immediately starts to play with her.

"Okay, I may have over reacted a bit. She's actually really sweet." Shuri looks up at me as she's kneeling to Lillian's level and petting her.

"I know, it seems Lillian has traded me for you. I'll go get her food. I'm leaving you two for two seconds, don't cause any trouble."

I walk to the back where the dogs food is stored and fill Lillian's bowls. When I come back I hear Shuri talking to Lillian.

"I really like Rue too. She's pretty but I've got to tell you Lillian, you might have her beat." Shuri playfully talks to Lillian.

I clear my throat. "Your rations for the day my lady." I give Lillian her food.

"So, what does one do on a regular Saturday at the rescue?" She asks.