29🤎

Rue

"I don't even understand why you thought it was acceptable to ask and at that on the day of. We already paid for the trip. We're not letting you stay home because you got into some argument with your big brother. You'll get over it and you'll have fun. Call me when you guys get to the airport." My mother kisses my forehead.

I have been staying with my parents for the last few days. Kathleen stayed with me last night. My mother and father are forcing me to go on this almost week-long trip with my enemies at the moment. We have to ride with Lottie and Joe to the airport so my dad and Joe are putting our luggage in the back of his pickup.

"Okay kids, have fun, be safe and Joesph you and Simon need to try not to get hurt this time around, something is always broken when you two come home from spring break." My dad places his hand on Joe's shoulder.

It's true, their first year Simon came home with two broken toes. Last year Joesph started a brawl at this huge beach party we went to so his nose got broken and Simon had some fractured ribs. They both act like white boys when we go on spring break, all of their home training goes out the window. Not that Joe ever had any.

"Yes sir, I give you my word that we will come back alive." He cackled.

"Why do I ever try? Get out of here before you all miss your plane." He nudges Joe.

"Hey, Rue." Lottie says from the front seat. I haven't seen or talked to her since we all went to the mall.

"Hey." I slide in my AirPods and try to quickly turn on music but nothing sounds good.

"I've missed you at the apartment. It's been empty without you." She looks back at me. I don't say anything. "I'm talking to you, Rue. I know you're not playing music cause when you do everyone hears it. You've never just played your music lowly."

I look up at her. "Excuse me if I'm not too eager to talk to you today. I don't make a habit of talking to people I'm upset with." I just decide to press shuffle on my whole library. In the hours it takes to get to the airport I listen to a playlist worth of music, fall asleep and watch an episode of my favorite show. We still aren't there.

"What's wrong love?" Kat kisses my shoulder.

"Nothing, I'm just a little tired. Plus I'd rather be at home."

"Well cheer up, your going. Plus you invited Kaleb, he'll be hurt if you don't come." She reminded me.

Being at odds with Lottie and Simon makes me feel terrible. I've talked to them almost every day since we were kids.

The last time my relationships with them were on hold I was miserable not having my best friends to talk to. I can't just let them hurt me and get away with it. On top of everything no one has tried to even apologize to me yet. Simon and I have had no contact, I haven't even seen him since our disagreement. The only reason I even know he's going on this trip is because of Kathleen.

I'm willing to put our differences aside in order to have fun on the trip but I won't continue as if nothing happened.

The plane ride over to Florida went smoothly, I sat by Alexis and some random white man. He was pretty cool, he and Alexis kept me entertained for the few hours we were on the plane.

The house we are all staying at is huge. It sits just behind a beach, luckily it's private only con to that is it's not the beach that we will regularly be going to.

The house has floor-to-ceiling windows so the sun is reflecting into it perfectly causing the house to have a golden tent. The furniture is white so everything flows beautifully together.