16🤎

Rue

'It's our birthday, again. Our twentieth to be exact. Normally I wouldn't celebrate but I've met someone and she's helped me a lot. Thoughts of you make me happy, you should be celebrated. We should be celebrated. Now I never really liked Halloween but I do want to make a cake and sift through my google photos and look at our old pictures and videos. I'm especially excited to see our old music.lys I know you hated looking at them but mom always insisted on showing everyone just to embarrass us. I'm on my way to dads classroom to sit and grade papers, we haven't done it in a while and he and I need some 101 time. I might go see mom at her office if she's not busy. Then commence our birthday plans. Happy birthday Kamora, Love Korine. <3'

I just wrapped up my journal. Shuri convinced me to keep one and honestly it's the best advice I've gotten in a long time. On the walk over to my dads classroom I see Kaleb talking to a group of girls and his best friend. I try to speed up so he doesn't see me but he flags me down and catches up to me.

"Hey, I haven't seen you in a minute and you haven't been answering. You okay?" He asks.

"I'm fine, I just have had a lot going on in life."

"Really, cause it's a Saturday and you aren't at work. You're normally there."

"The rescue and the hospital are always closed on calendar holidays. Also it's my birthday so yeah." I say.

His eyes got wide, "I didn't know."

"I know, I don't really tell people. It's not a big deal." I shrug.

"What are you doing tonight?"

"I have plans, I prefer to keep them to myself if that's okay." I said as sweetly as I could put it.

He looked kind of hurt. "It's cool, I get it. I'll let you enjoy your plans baby. I'll see you later, or whenever I guess." He kisses my cheek and walks away.

"Hey, Kaleb" I yell and he turns toward me. "We'll talk soon." I yell shoving my hands in my hoodie pockets. At first I hadn't noticed I was avoiding him until started seeing him on campus and actively dodging him. I don't mean to be a bitch but I don't like lying to him.

Plus he may or may not have asked me to be his girlfriend. I haven't talked to him in a week. I do indeed need to answer his question. I just need to find an answer.

I walk into my dads classroom and he's eating and looking at his computer.

"Korine!" He yelled excitedly.

"Hi daddy, don't yell" I laughed.

"I just haven't seen you in weeks, of course I'm going to be excited about seeing my little Sunflower." He embraces me into a hug. "How're you today?"

"I'm okay, I'm more than okay actually. For the first time I'm trying to celebrate her instead of mourn her." I sit across from him.

"That's wonderful, Happy Birthday Sunflower." He offered me the other half of his sandwich. "I didn't have time to get you anything." He laughs.

"I graciously accept your gift." I smile picking up the sandwich.

"Did you talk to your mom?"

"No, your the first person I've told and my journal." I bite into my birthday gift.

"Okay, well I know she'll be excited to learn your doing better. She told me you haven't been to her office in almost two months for an attack. I'm proud of you Korine, I really am." He grins.

"Thank you, I have a friend who's been helping me out a lot." I smile thinking about Shuri.

Without her I would still be struggling. I'm not 100% done working through things but I am doing a lot better.