24🤎

Shuri

Wakanda gets more beautiful each time I return. The sun gets brighter, the water gets clearer and the air is clearer with each inhale.

I'm not ready to be back so soon but I cannot deny it's beauty. When I step off the Royal Talon everyone is waiting, even my sister Nakia has come to see my arrival.

"Sister!" She holds her arms out and wraps me into her embrace.

"It's good to see you Nakia." I hold on to her tightly.

"You must be happy to drop the phony accent. I know I always am after returning from a war dog mission."

"Yes, it is one of the many things I hate."

"Well, your home now that's all that matters." She smiles walking me into the mound.

"Right." I smile vaguely.

"You don't sound happy to be home, is everything okay?" She asks.

"Yes, kind of. Where's the King? I need to steer clear of him."

"He convened a council meeting this morning, they should be done. What's wrong Shuri? You look as if you are on the verge of tears." She grabs my hand.

"I messed up Nakia. Going over there was a big mistake. I should've stayed home as he said. I should've just listened to him." I broke in her arms.

"Okay, talk to me. Nothing is above being fixed. Whatever it is I'm sure it can be made right. Let's get you to the palace and comfortable. Then we can talk." She says.

♾️

"I think you should go back." Nakia breaks the silence in the room.

"I can't, I'm sure she hates me." I rub my forehead.

"Shuri, when I saw you give your all and pressure M'Baku into letting you go over there I was so proud. I haven't seen you that passionate about something in a long time. Now you are telling me you fell in love. I can't allow you to sit here and accept this life that you don't want."

"M'Baku was right. I'm a princess I have no business being Panther and I most certainly had no business trying to leave the country. I was trained properly and I still went over there and failed. I made bonds with people knowing I would have to return, knowing that everything was... IS a lie." I bring my knees to my chest as I sit in my window seal facing the capital.

"Were those bonds meaningful? Outside of the girl you fell in love with." She comes closer to me.

Memories of my friends dance through my mind. Our inside jokes, every night we hung out. The parties every Saturday that Simon drags me to. The first night I met everyone they all welcomed me with open arms. Alexis and I laugh no matter the occasion. Morgan doesn't hang with me much but when we do it's memorable. Joe and I are always pranking each other and cracking jokes. Lottie and I have an extensive list of movies we have to finish, every time she braids my hair she discovers another movie I haven't seen and insists we watch them all.

Simon is the one that'll hurt the most. He's like a brother to me. He's taught me so much about any and everything you could think of. He's loyal and gives the best advice, when we hang out together I almost don't want to leave. He always jokes and says we're twin flames, platonic soulmates. Even when I've blatantly made it clear that I don't want to be bothered he makes sure I'm okay before giving me my space. Either way, he's one bond I'll lose no matter what. I broke his trust and went behind his back.

I'll lose everyone once I tell them all I've been lying to them.

"None of them will be too hurt if I don't ever speak to them again."