35🤎

Rue

"You could at least push the cart if you weren't going to help me put everything inside." I say to Joesph. Today is move-in day and he told me he'd help me but he's just been pissing me off as usual.

"No, you look pretty doing it all by yourself."

"But you'd look prettier, come on baby girl." I tease.

"Fine, only cause you asked nicely." He shoves me out of the way. On the way up I see someone I haven't seen in forever.

"Take that up, I'm going to go say hi to someone."

I walk a little distance until I'm close to her. "Is that India or are there ghosts running around." She turns around and her face lights up.

"Oh my god, Korine!!" She hugs me. India and I go way back. She use to live here in Infinity until we got to high school then she and her family moved away. I used to have a colossal crush on her. She still looks good, actually better.

"How have you been, I haven't talked to you forever." I pull away.

"Everything's been great, how about you?"

I fake smile "You know, life."

"Yeah, we should catch up. Does Lottie go here too?"

"Yeah, she does. Simon goes here too but he won't be back until next week though. He went to visit a friend."

"That's good, I've missed you guys. I know we lost contact but I've been trying to find you. I didn't even know you went here, I figured you'd be in New York going to school.

"That was the plan but after Kamora passed away I decided to stay here with my family."

"I hate how you got here but I'm glad you're here. It's good to see some familiar faces." She smiles.

"Here, put your number in my phone. After I get all unpacked we can hang out." I hand her my phone. She puts her number in.

"It was really good seeing you beautiful." She smiles before walking away.

Beautiful eh, hehe.

I went up to my new dorm room, I'm sad we had to switch but it's fine because our new room is much bigger and Alexis is our third roommate.

To my surprise, Joe had unpacked everything from the cart and sat it in my room. "Awe, you're not as big of an asshole as I thought."

Classes start next week, I'm excited because I have some really good courses to take. I'm picking up tutoring again but because I have so many classes this semester I can only volunteer at the animal hospital when I can.

"Lottie guess who goes here." I grab a water bottle from the counter.

"Say, Caleb Mclaughlin. Please be Caleb Mclaughlin." She closes her eyes and crosses her fingers.

"I wish, but no India Washington. She was in our grade growing up."

"Ooh, your first real girl crush. Is she still scrawny with a big head?"

I raise my eyebrow. "There's nothing scrawny about her, she's beautifully built and really pretty."

"What do you mean by beautifully built? Like she has a fat ass?" Joe rests on the couch.

"Yes, and then some." I smile.

"Does She have a boyfriend?" He smirks.

"I don't know, and I'm not introducing you to her."

"Why when you already have a girlfriend." He throws a water bottle cap at me.

"I don't. Besides, I don't want a relationship with anyone right now. Last year was a lot for me." I admit.

"Yeah, I think you should just focus on having fun this year." Lottie says.

"And letting loose." Joe adds.

"Hard to let loose when everyone around me just tries making my life harder."

"You must be talking about Shuri. That was a plot twist." He says.

"She was one of the few people. Anywho, we need to finish getting this stuff inside." I grab Joe and walk toward the door.

Before leaving Wakanda Shuri and I had some creative differences and we broke up. I took it hard even though it was partially my fault. There were so many instances where I wanted to call her and just talk, I know she won't pick up. I've tried and I keep getting the same stupid voicemail. It could be worse, she could've blocked me.

It wasn't easy getting over her, I'm still not over her. She's not some girl I can just forget, but sadly things happen. Hopefully one day we can be friends but not right now.

♾️

Bringing all my stuff back home and unpacking took me two days. I barely left our dorm yesterday. Today I had to help my dad set up his new classroom. We're having lunch now.

"Why didn't Mom come to lunch with us?" I ask him.

"Sunflower, your mother and I have been going through a rough patch. We've been trying to keep it from you and your brother."

"Is it bad?"

"Yes, we've been talking about divorce. I think it's best if we want to keep our professional relationship steady."

"But why, you guys never fought growing up. You two have good communication." I drop my fry.

"I thought we did too until she kept Shuri's identity a secret."

"That wasn't her fault dad, she was just protecting a student. You would've done the same thing."

"Yes, but this was different. That girl hurt you. You moped around for months because of her."

"Once again, it's not moms fault."

"Do you remember your birthday last year, you came to my classroom and we talked about your sister?"

"Yes, what about it?"

"I knew then exactly who had you blushing. I always had my suspicions and I told your mother, we got confirmation way before you two went 'public' as you kids say. She could've said something then before you got in too deep with that liar."

"Daddy don't call her that." I look down into my lap.

"That's what she is sunflower, she deceived everyone with the help of your mother. You know I love a good joke just as much as the next man but I don't joke when it comes to my kids. You both mean everything to me and I didn't take it kindly when I saw you so upset. You weren't yourself."

"It didn't hurt me too bad, I promise."

"You can keep lying to yourself but I saw how every night you slept in your sister's bed and returned to your own before the morning as if nobody saw you. Don't forget you lived at home for almost the whole last quarter of the school year."

"Divorce is a bit excessive though, I'm sure you can work it out."

"If there's no trust then there is no relationship."

"But trust can be rebuilt." Look at me being hypocritical.

"Then why haven't you gone to see Shuri?"

"It's her That's the problem, not me. She's mad at me."

"When have you not fought for something you wanted?"

"Maybe you're right, maybe I am scared of fighting for her just to be hurt again. But she and I aren't married, we're allowed to make mistakes. Just don't throw away thirty years of marriage on my account. If you do anything because of me, forgive her for me, Simon and Kamora." I gently place my hand on his.

"You know what they say 'Rome wasn't built in a day.' This marriage might not make it to see Rome built." He sighs.