18🤎

Rue

I politely shove Shuri off of me. Kalebs face is revealed. "I swear it-"

"Don't give me that It's not what it looks like bullshit. Kathleen, can you give us a minute please." Kaleb says touching his face like he's stressed.

Shuri turns to me to make sure I'm fine and grabs my hand. "It's okay, just go keep everyone occupied." I say.

She nods, let's my hand go and walks out of the room closing the door leaving he and I alone.

"I know we aren't together but I asked you time and again "Was there anyone else?". Your answer to me was no. I especially asked about Kathleen." He says calmly but hurt.

"I know, had it been any other person I would've told you."

"Rue, I never cared that you liked women. I would never judge you."

"It's not that." I say lowly.

"Then what is it, why wouldn't you just tell me the truth?"

"Because, Simon doesn't really want her and I together. I know it's selfish but I-"

"What, you couldn't trust me enough to keep your secret? I would never betray you or lie to you. Rue I know you don't feel the same way about me but I love you." He says.

He searches my eyes for a response but I say nothing. I don't feel the same way about him. If I had given my all like he gave his then maybe I could've but I just don't. My feeling for him are friendly.

"Nothing huh? Just tell me this. Why'd you lead me on? Was I just some cover story so your brother wouldn't look too deep into you and her?"

"No never, I would never do that to you Kaleb. I really did like you. At first I really wanted to pursue a relationship with you. I've never dated before I wanted to keep you both but somewhere along the way I just got closer to Kathleen." I confess.

"I just wish you'd told me, so I wouldn't have given my all to someone who didn't deserve it. I would've never fallen for you Rue."

"I'm sorry Kaleb. I should've told you, I really do want to be your friend. You're a good person. We crossed paths at the wrong time. I truly am sorry." I admit.

"Do you love her?"

His question rings in my mind. I don't not love her, she means a lot to me. She challenges me, makes me better. I love seeing her smile, I love the time we spend together, I love the way she makes me feel. I'm not sure if I'm in love with her but I do love her. I don't even know what romantic love feels like. "I have strong feelings for her."

He touches the door, before he leaves he turns to me. "I can't quite put my finger on it but something's off about her. She's going to hurt you."

"You're just saying that because you're hurt right now." I wipe my tears.

"No" he walks closer to me and wraps his arms around me. "I'm saying it because I want you to be careful. Just because I can't have you doesn't mean I don't want you to be happy." He kisses my cheek and walks away.

"Kaleb, this doesn't have to be goodbye. We can still be friends."

"I have to do some healing and forgiving before we can be cool again. Take care of yourself little one." He taps the frame of the door then exits the room. I hear him excuse himself from the event tonight and the door closes.

Princess😵‍💫
Are you okay Angel?

Me
I will be, I'll be down in a second.