Chapter 5 (Sara/Janner)

A/N: Ok this chapters a whole lot longer.

                                                                                . . . . . . . . . . .

The family tensed up. The air was so still and quiet, that Sara could hear her own heartbeat.

"Janner?" Nia said with some hope. Sara looked at his body. His skin was no longer shriveled. His entire body was back to its normal, healthy state.

Sara didn't see anything to show that he was alive. 

Artham shook his head, his eyes full of tears. It was a false hope, a bad idea. Something that would only make their hearts break more and scar their souls forever.

And then-

-a song.

A song from the Maker, letting them know that he was there and heard their mourning for the one they loved, the one they lost.

The one who had given everything up, for his country.

For his people.

For his friends.

For his family.

For his brother.

Sara noticed a new feeling seep into her heart. Amongst the tons of feelings she had in that moment, two of them stuck out.

Love.

Love, and reverence.

This wasn't just a boy. No, this was the Throne Warden of Anniera. He was a completely selfless young man, who had given up his life for the King of Anniera. 

Sara looked down at Janner's handsom face, and wondered if the water was only having a delayed effect.

"Artham, is it maybe possible that the water is being delayed?" Sara asked.

Artham shrugged. "It-it's always possible."

As he said that, a light mist came upon the family. It covered the area. 

And then Sara heard a voice.

'Janner is with me and there is no better place.' It said.

Sara looked around at the family. They showed no sign of hearing the voice.

It spoke again. 'He is safe from all evil and corruption.'

Sara had a weird idea that the voice speaking was the Maker. So, she responded, in her head.

'But, I need Janner!' She thought.

'It is his choice to make, not yours.'

'Tell him that I need him, that-that I love him. Tell him that!'

The voice grew quiet for a moment before it spoke again.

'Sara, look.'

Sara looked at Janner's body. She put a hand on his forehead, and it was warm.

She put her ear to his chest.

And she heard-

A heartbeat.

She sat up and looked at Janner's face.

And he opened his eyes, and when they first fell on her, she felt her heart flutter.

He smiled at her, and something in his eyes reached out to Sara, and made her feel a joy she had never felt in her life.

Janner sat up. The rest of the family had gotten excited with the Well working, but they were holding their breath silently to see what Janner's reaction to seeing Sara for the first time in almost a year would be.

He pushed himself off of the rim of the well, and sat across from Sara so that they were eye-to-eye.

And, then he leaned forward and kissed her.

Sara felt her heart burst. She was surprised, but then it hit her.

He loved her, and he always would.

It told her that in the space of only a couple of seconds.

When Janner leaned back, he looked slightly dazed and a little embarrassed. But, he didn't regret it one bit, of course.

Sara forgot anyone was watching, grinned, then tackle-hugged Janner. He was caught by surprise, but then hugged her tightly too. When they stood up after a few moments, both were blushing madly. Then the awkward moment was broken, and everyone hugged Janner. He hugged Sara again, while whispering in her ear, "I missed you so much."

Sara thought that if she smiled any more, her mouth would hurt.

"So, how do you feel, son?" Nia asked.

Janner shrugged. "I feel like very happy, yet also sort of tired."

Artham smiled. "Well, I'm glad you're back."

"I think we all are." Kalmar said, snickering at Sara.

Janner and Sara blushed again.

"So, now what?" Leeli asked.

"Well, we'll go back to Anniera." Nia replied.

"And live there?" Janner asked.

Nis sighed. She really wished that her son, the Throne Warden of Anniera, didn't have to ask that. 

"Yes, we will. Life will go back to the way it was before Gnag came."

The family packed up the little belongings they had brought with them. The family then started to walk over to Clovenfast, to meet the dragons.

Janner and Sara walked awkwardly beside each other, falling behind the rest of the family a bit. Neither said a word for part of the walk. Sara wondered what he was thinking about. Home, life.....her? She got her answer a few minutes later.

Janner spoke up. "Being with the Maker was amazing, but there was something missing."

Sara looked at him. "What's that?"

Janner looked her in the eye. "You."

She smiled as he put his arm around her, and kissed her forehead.

He gazed into her eyes. "I'm glad I'm back."

Sara studied his handsome face. "I'm glad you're back too."