Chapter 23

"What do you want with me?!" Janner shouted at the nearest Fang. He had been ordered to sit by a tree that sat in the center of the Fang camp.

The Fang turned around and growled, baring its Fangs. "You're the deal-maker."

"The what?"

The Grey Fang laughed. "The deal-maker. We're gonna trade you to the royal family to get something we want. More like, someone we want. Two people actually."

Janner was confused. "Who do you want?"

The Fang growled. "Years ago, when us Fangs ruled all of Skree, we had this factory. The workers obeyed, without question. Then, these two kids got together, and planned an escape. One made it out, the other didn't. Then, the one who stayed behind, started a rebellion among the workers. They planned on escaping, and they succeeded. The Overseer, the one who oversaw all of the work, is hiring us Fangs to capture those two trouble-makers, to make them pay for what they did to him."

Janner was speechless. All this time, the Fangs were after him and Sara?

And, did the Fangs even know that they had one of the people they sought?

And, was Sara safe?

Janner was shocked, to say the least.

The Fang noticed how pale Janner looked. "What're you hiding?" He growled.

"Nothing." Janner stuttered quickly.

The Fang grabbed Janner's arm, and yanked him up. "You're a liar." The Fang looked Janner over.

Then, at the worst time possible, the Fang spotted Janner's Wingfeather family crest. Hanging right off his neck.

The Fang grabbed it, and looked it over. He flipped it to its other side, and saw the Throne Warden Wingfeather symbol, engraved in the pure gold.

The Fang growled. "So, you're the Throne Warden?" He laughed. "This was gonna be easier than I thought." He turned to another nearby Fang. "Grahk! Call the Overseer. Let him know we have one of those who he seeks."

Grahk nodded his head, then ran off.

The Fang turned back to Janner. "Well, soon we'll have you and the girl, and you'll get what you deserve."

//////////////////

The attack hit so quickly, as if it was in a blink of an eye.

One minute, the Wingfeather family sat in the family room, laughing, the next, Grey fur and howls and bared teeth filled everyone's vision.

The Fangs took the Wingfeather family to one of their many camps. They searched them all for  jewelry, which they didn't have. The closest thing they had was the Wingfeather crest that each of them bore. 

The Fangs had separated each member of the family, so that they could easily find the one whom they wanted.

Sara. 

They found her within no time, mostly because she gave herself up when the Fangs told her the same story they told Janner.

Sara was confused as to why the Overseer wanted revenge. She was also confused as to where Janner was, whether he was captured or not. She hoped that he wasn't.

"You, girl, get up." A Fang rudely said.

Sara sat up, and stretched as best as she could in the small, wooden make-shift jailcell she was placed in. The Fang grabbed her arm, and led her out, and deeper into the Fang camp. 

As Sara and the Fang walked through the camp, she could hear the cheers of many Grey Fangs. 

Howls.

The unmistakable crack of a whip.

Scolding.

Memories of the Fork Factory flashed into Sara's mind, bringing back the fear that came with them. She almost thought of struggling, but what she saw before her eyes made her stop.

Janner.

With whip marks on his back, and a man who she knew to be the Overseer standing a little ways behind him, holding his long, black, uncoiled whip.

Sara felt a rush of relief flood through her, now that she knew where he was.

It was quickly replaced with fear when the Overseer lifted his whip again.

Fear, and anger.

Sara looked at Janner, who had his hands tied to a small wooden post. His shirt was ripped to shreds, and stained with blood. From the looks of it, he was unconscious.

"I brought the one you asked for, sir." The Fang holding Sara said.

The Overseer turned to Sara, and sneered. "You, you troublemaker." He cracked his whip near her as the Fang quickly backed away. "You're gonna pay for what you did."

Sara backed up, her hands not being tied anymore. "What you were doing was wrong." She stuttered.

The Overseer laughed. "Yes, maybe it was. Doesn't change the fact that you're gonna get the same punishment as him." He pointed to Janner, who groaned and stirred.

Sara shook with fear as she backed up, to the entertainment of the Fangs. They laughed and cackled at her fear, as if they could taste it. 

The Overseer cracked his whip again, as Janner managed to lift his head. He was awake.

And when he saw the Overseer and Sara, he turned mad.

"Don't." He groaned, looking at the Overseer, who had raised his whip to strike Sara.

The Overseer laughed. "Why? You want more strikes?"

Janner groaned. "Don't...hurt...her." He managed to say, coughing.

The Overseer looked at him, then at Sara, then back at him. "And why would you want that? Why would you want more marks?"

Janner shook his head, groaning in pain. "Don't. You can...hit me...if you want to...but don't hurt her."

The Overseer laughed. "So sacrificial. But, my arm is tired, I think I'll take a break. Fangs, take them back to their cells."

The Fangs around there grabbed Sara, and untied Janner. 

Sara and Janner locked eyes as they were dragged away, both to different parts of the camp.