Chapter 24

It was a howl from a Fang that woke Janner up.

Days ago he had given up struggling with his bonds, the rope that held his arms behind his back. He had lost a lot of blood, and had no food or water. The shelter he had was a small, wooden shed that he barely managed to fit in. Every day the Overseer would go talk to him, and scold him. 

He would consider himself lucky if the Overseer forgot his whip. 

Janner was hungry, thirsty, wounded badly, and tired. But, most of all, he was worried. 

For Sara.

He wondered if Sara had gotten the same punishment as him. It had been days since they saw each other, when he was being whipped. 

It felt like years since they had actually talked to each other.

But some good did come of him being punished like that, in front of the Fangs.

He had listened to what the Fangs were saying. It was his way of getting news on Anniera, and on his family. He had learned that once the Overseer had him and Sara, he released the rest of his family. At least they're not going through the same fate as me.

Janner had also learned that the Fang fleet was coming. Not to attack, but to come get the Fangs that were in Anniera, and bring them to Dang.

Apparently Janner and Sara were also going.

The Overseer, though he was older, was still as brutal as Janner remembered him. He had the same whip, and ridicules top hat. He wondered if Mobrik still worked with him.

Snapping him out of his thoughts, the door to Janner's cell swung open.

"Get up. The Overseer wishes to see you." A Grey Fang snarled.

Janner sighed, then struggled to get up, with his hands tied. The Fang, being impatient, grabbed one of Janner's arms and yanked him up.

"Go." He ordered, motioning with his furry arm.

Janner walked out, with the Fang still holding onto his arm. The Fang lead him through the camp to a large tent. Two Fang guards stood on each side of the tent, each bearing a long spear. One lifted the tent flap, and the Fang holding Janner shoved him in.

When Janner went into the tent, the Fang holding him walked right behind him. 

"Ah, Throne Warden. Welcome." The Overseer said with a wicked grin.

Janner didn't even hear him, seeing Sara was in the room too. He rushed to her, but was pulled back by the Fang.

"Stay put." The Fang snarled.

The Overseer spoke again. "So, you two. Trouble-makers."

Janner and Sara weren't even listening to him.

The Overseer sighed. "Pay attention, tools."

Janner and Sara sighed, and turned to look at the Overseer.

"Now, what I was saying. You two are going to be punished. To the fullest extent of my want."

Janner narrowed his eyes at him. 

The Overseer continued. "Now, what I'm going to do is simple. You two are going to be my personal slaves, until the Fang fleet comes and picks us up. Then, I'll sell you in Dang, for a high price, and make a ton of money off of you. You-" He pointed at Janner-"Will make a good farm slave, or a working slave. You-" He pointed at Sara-"Will make a good house slave. Who knows, maybe you two will end up being bought together, and can escape from your future owner."

Janner shook his head. "We'll make it out. You will pay."

The Overseer was startled by the sternness is Janner's voice. His fear turned to laughter. "Oh, you tool. You can try, but with these Fangs around, you'll never get out."

"Wanna bet?" 

Janner quickly pulled his hands out from behind his back, and while the two Fangs in the tent were recovering from their shock, he took their swords and killed them both. He turned to the Overseer. 

The Overseer panicked, and tried to run out of there. Janner dropped one sword, and cupped it over his mouth, stopping him. He held the other sword by his throat.

"Call out and you're finished." Janner said quietly. 

The Overseer stopped, then nodded his head. Janner kept one hand on the Overseer, but used his sword to cut Sara's bonds. 

Janner had to resist every urge to let go of the Overseer and hug her. 

Sara took the Overseers whip, and used it to tie the mans hands behind his back.

Janner used the rope that previously held Janner and Sara, and tied the Overseers feet.

Now he couldn't move.

Janner backed away from the Overseer, and turned to Sara. He hugged her. 

The Overseer looked at him, then her, then back at him. He finally understood. 

"You two are a thing?"

Janner rolled his eyes, then used a small piece of rope as a gag for the Overseer. 

Janner wiped his hands as he backed away from the Overseer. "Now to escape." He said. 

"But what about your wounds?" Sara asked, concerned.

Janner sighed. "I'll bear with them just till we get home."

Sara nodded her head. "How'd you break your ropes?"

Janner smiled. "I realized that all the times I struggled with them, it loosened it."

Sara smiled. "Now, let's get out of here."